【 Chapter 19 】

A/n: Most people asume that when Dio became a vampire he became undead due to the mask piercing his brain, and therefore they write him as having no heartbeat, no breathing, all that stuff, but technically all the mask did was unlock the brain's hidden potential.

I think that the precise jabs of the spines hidden within the mask didn't kill him, so I'll be writing him with a heartbeat. That's all.
_______________________________

The past two days had been quite rough for me. I'm still so confused about how I should feel about all this. The love of my life, who massacred a dozen officers, and murdered the man who was like a second father to me, is alive.

He survived. He's still breathing, his heart is still beating, and he isn't gone. When I first found out I was in shock, I could not even think. The second day I collected my thoughts and organized them in a somewhat comprehensible fashion. Now, I'm on my way to the Joestar estate ruins, to find clues as to where he might be.

       Before now I couldn't bring myself to return here. As I approach what's left of the building, memories come rushing back to me of it's former state, afternoons where I'd practically be skipping up to the doorstep, fully content with my life.

       Mr. Joestar would greet me on the way in, sometimes I would join him for tea and we'd chat about whatever happened to be on our minds. I'd head upstairs and find Jonathan in his room, trying to catch up on some classes he'd been putting off.

I would make my way to the library, look around only for Dio to soundlessly walk up behind me and scare me half to death. He'd tease me and throw out some flirtatious remark that would make my face go red. I would playfully swat his shoulder, telling him to cut it out.

       Sometimes I catch myself wondering if things will ever go back to normal, but I know that will never happen. Things will never be the same. Dio made sure of that when he decided to kill a member of my family.

       My foot catches on a chunk of concrete, causing me to trip. A stinging sensation on my knee grabs my attention, and upon further examination I realize I scraped it pretty badly. I gingerly wipe away some of the dirt from the wound, cringing as I pick one of the larger chunks out.

       I'm about to get up and continue on my way, when I see a small glint in a pile of ash from the corner of my eye. My curiosity gets the best of me, so I brush away some dust and find a small, intricate ring with a diamond at the top. A wedding ring?

       Thinking it could be a clue I stuff the small object in my trench coat pocket. Continuing the search, I find myself in what used to be the entrance hall. I come across one of the larger pillars that collapsed in the fire, and observe the very deliberate indent in it. It appears to have been chipped away, to make room for a person to hide underneath it.

       This pillar must have destroyed the sculpture, enabling him to escape the flames by digging a hole in it to shield himself.

       He must have waited to heal until at least a day had passed. Then, after nightfall, he made his way to town most likely, too get some. . . food, to regain his strength. There might be some clues in town then, so I suppose I'll have to head there then.

I will find you Dio. Before Zeppeli or Jonathan do. I won't let them hurt you.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I see him again. I'm so, mad at him. I want to yell at him, tell him how horrible he is, tell him what he's put me through in the past month. I want him to know how much he's hurt me. And. . . I want him to comfort me, and tell me that everything will be okay.