【 Chapter 17 】

The day of the battle at the Joestar Estate —

DIO's POV:

       I watch as Jonathan carries Anne away, sparing me a small glance before he continues his search for an exit. Although I'm grateful, my frustration grows inside me. I hate being indebted to people, and now, I'm indebted to the rich that I despise. To Jonathan.

       I choke and gasp for air, sucking in nothing but smoke as I do so, burning my lungs. How did it come to this? In my original plan, I had absolutely no intention of letting a little girl get in my way, forcing me to save her like that.

       I'd like to say the pain in my midsection makes me regret my actions, wish I hadn't been such a fool to dive to my imminent doom below, but unfortunately, I don't regret it at all.

       My back aches from just hanging here, muscles straining to hold myself up. All this pain is exhausting me, my energy focusing completely on keeping me alive, and at this point, just prolonging my suffering.

"I w-wasn't supposed to—ack—d-die here!" I cough, blood spurting from my wound at the sudden pressure, "Damn my wretched heart!"

Just as I'm starting to lose hope, all my strength leaving me from this ongoing battle, I hear a long, creaky groan come from the frame of the building around me. The structure is starting to collapse, which will likely crush my skull and kill me.

       A beam towering over me starts to lean, dropping down and gaining speed. I prepare for the blow, but it doesn't come. Instead, the falling beam shatters the base of the statue, breaking off the pot and forearm impaling me from the rest of the sculpture. Taking this miraculous opportunity, I yank on the piece of stone, freeing it from my body.

An enormous sigh of relief escapes my mouth, though I feel my limbs getting heavier by the second as the blood flows out of me like a river. The cracks spreading on the walls are enough to end my moment of joy, as I dash to the fallen pillar that freed me.

Using my sharp claws, I chip away at the surface of the smooth stone, cutting out large chunks with each jab. Soon there's barely enough space to fit a human in, so I get into position and pull the pillar.

Come on, come on, come on! I can't afford to lose this fight! My nails scrape against the stone, unable to get a good grip. No. I won't let this pathetic world defeat me. I'll take this society and crush it beneath my foot.

I sink my claws into it, making my own grips, giving it one final tug. It slowly rolls over me, shielding me just as the building caves.

—————

I can't. . . move my legs. . . or my arms. I can't even feel my left hand, or anything below my waist. Maybe that's a good thing, for now at least. I'm not sure I can deal with much more suffering.

What time is it? Is the sun out? What if I try to escape and succeed, only to be burnt to death in the sunlight? Then all of this would have been a waste of my precious time and energy. I should build up a bit more strength before I try anything.

—————

Oh! I-I think I just moved my finger! This is good, it's only a matter of time before I can break out of this tomb and hunt down my enemies. Just you wait, I'll get back at you. No one puts I, Dio, through such a horrific event without paying the price.