Episode 1: They Call Him "Lucky"

"According to sources, the first portal was constructed in the year of Terravas, primarily as a test case. Once said test was confirmed as a success, the concept of the portal spread throughout the regions, allowing the use of interdimensional travel to become more widespread."

I reread that section.

Then reread it again.

And again.

And again.

No matter how many times the syllables slid across my mind, I just couldn't lock them in place.

Portals?

Interdimensional travel?

Regions?

Err, I guess that last one isn't too bad.

I strolled across the cement sidewalk, the city outskirts vibrating with serenity as in the near distance, the luminance of the metropolis glimmered, the shades ranging from timid greens and blues to boisterous pinks and purples.

Odd, considering that section of the city was supposed to be locked away to a different dimension, but what did I know? Maybe breaking the rules of space and time wasn't as refined as they made it out to be.

I kept my finger rubbing against my phone's screen, my eyes glued to the article. I didn't care if they wound up making enough portals to bake a freakin' donut! I was gonna get it.

The donut?

Or the portals?

Never mind. Now I'm just confusing myself.

His words echoed through my mind, fueling my dwindling determination.

"Try to learn more about this world.

That way, I can take you on adventures you'd only ever dream of."

I don't see how I can't go now, I thought. I don't have to know exactly what a werewolf is to appreciate it. Or how shadows can actually suck out people's souls.

Mainly, I just wanna be with you.

I closed the article, switching instead to my text messages. There, I clicked on the convo with L, reading the final words exchanged.

"Meet me at the DuskDrop Cafe."

I looked to my bunny head phone strap and sighed.

Another date just staring out the window.

Hooray.

I'm in a literal dimension where monsters brawl in the underground, and you wanna just sip on some lattes as we talk about our favorite authors? That's criminal.

There's more out there, and I wanna find it.

I locked my phone, letting the blacked out screen cast my reflection: a dorky teenage girl who spent way too much time playing Minecraft and reading books to have any kind of social life. I was the kind of geek who read about the adventure goers, not the one doing the adventure going. (That made sense, right?)

Even so, I was ready.

I had to be.

Otherwise, this universe packed with bloodthirsty monsters would chew me up and spit me out.

Case in point: it only took me a few seconds to go the whole nine yards of being successfully kidnapped!

Wait . . .