Episode 6: The Gang's All Here

Click!

. . .

Click!

. . .

Click!

The pieces slid smoothly into the game board, each stacked atop one another as the duo of shades flaunted an unorthodox pattern.

"Hmm . . ." my opponent hummed, observing the conditions.

He made his move.

Click!

I followed, filling in the final slot.

Click!

The animatronic pig leaned back in his seat.

"Looks like another draw," Hangry said.

I regarded the game of Connect 4 before us, where no slot was left barren.

"Looks like it," I replied. "We just can't break out of the loop."

The two of us lounged in the comfort of a high-grade apartment suite, the likes of which pristine enough to put even YouTubers to shame.

Apparently, after recognizing their success in the Rainbow Garden, Miss Lamella decided to hand the Joy Joy Gang an upgrade, transferring them from their dingy studio in the slums to a luxurious penthouse deeper in the city. Everything now boasted of "elite" air, such as the flatscreen TV pinned to the wall and the dining table cut from the finest of glass. Heck, the fridge even had its own Siri. (No "yo mama" jokes, though; albeit Hangry was really gunning for it.)

"What do you say?" the pig asked. "Another round?" He had already started emptying the game.

"Sure," I agreed. "Just lemme see how Lucky and Penny are holding up."

I fished out my phone from my pocket, shooting a text to my favorite rabbit:

"Did you guys make it over there yet?"

A second later and the reply rolled through:

"You can't make this stuff up."

Attached was a picture of him and Penny waiting in line outside an elegant restaurant; apparently, said restaurant was the hype of the city, because roughly half of the population planted themselves outside the front doors, all eager for a taste of the fine dining experience.

I grimaced. "That's not good."

"What happened?" Hangry asked. "Did they get mugged?"

Dhoild I be worried that was your first assumption?

"Nothing like that. Line's just super long." My prediction for our wait time: roughly three centuries. "I kinda wish I had gone with them."

"And miss all the fun here?" The mechanical pig had presented the game chips to OCD perfection. "Besides, with how much food we're getting, Penny would be a bigger help with carrying it back."

Aren't we getting so much because of you?

"Fair enough."

"I'll say this," Hangry added. "I'm shocked Lucky was even willing to go in the first place. Granted, there was a lot of hollering, but still. If it was the old rabbit, he would've just flat out said 'No' and moved on with his day."

"Is it really that surprising?"

As far as I could remember, L had always been of the boisterous variety, toting his character around loud and proud. Even when we first met, his spine kept straight and firm.