Episode 4: Journey to the Rainbow

"Wanna help tame a dragon?"

Those were the first words my boyfriend told me when we met up.

I had just stepped through the portal between our dimensions, emerging in the familiar park. The leaves of the oak trees swayed gently in the zephyr, same as the luscious blades of grass beneath my feet. Up high, the night sky greeted me, its smile decorated with waves upon waves of glistening stars.

Normally when I arrived, I'd be the only soul present, aside from the shadow I swore moved from the corner of my eye.

The last few times I visited, though, my rabbit had been right here, waiting for me.

"Say what?"

I just made it here; please don't hit me with the fantasy mumbo jumbo till after I remember this stuff actually exists.

"A dragon," Lucky repeated. "Wanna help us tame it?" He wore a brown backpack on his person, the straps looping over his shoulders.

And by us, he meant Penny and Hangry, who he had brought along for the ride this time around.

"Hi, B," the latter said, waving at me. "How's it hanging? Get it? 'Cause I'm Hangry."

Riiiiight.

Penny, on the other hand, simply handed me a dirty look, as if she lost actual years off her life by setting a glance on me.

As long as she doesn't try to stab me, that's okay, I guess.

I looked back to my boyfriend.

Right. The dragon.

"Um . . . yes?" I guessed.

L studied my hesitation.

"Okay," he said, "how about a different question: Do you wanna come on an adventure?"

See, now that one's a little easier to answer.

"Y-Yes!" I answered, excited.

"You stuttered," L pointed out.

"Becaaauuuse I'm so happy! Duh!"

I may be lying, but to be fair, I'm apparently about to meet a dragon. I think anyone would be knicker-wetting nervous at that point.

"I dunno if this is such a good idea, Lucky," Penny chimed in. "She might just slow us down."

"I, for one, think she'll be fine," Hangry argued. "We'd have more time if you didn't spend all those hours at that candy store, though, Lucky. I've never seen someone stress over chocolate so much before."

"Both of you, quiet!" Lucky demanded. "We're not starving for time. We can afford to relax a little. Besides, I'm sure if I take B to one more cafe, she'll wring my neck."

Hahaha, you're not wrong, hahaha.

My boyfriend turned back to me. "What do you say?"

"As long as I don't die," I said.

Lucky frowned.

Right. Right. Not a fan of the whole "me dying" shtick.

"I'm all for it," I tried again.

My rabbit beamed. Excellent!" He then ambled off towards a wide patch of grass. "I'll get started on making the portal."

I raised an eyebrow. "Making the portal? I thought they were all premade; at least, the ones I've seen have been that way."

"This one's special," Hangry noted. "We're goin' on a trip."

From his backpack, Lucky fished out numerous handheld jars filled to the brim with dark-colored liquids, like crimson and royal purple. He then popped the lids off, dipping his fingers into the substance. From there, he went about smearing the liquid on the grass, drawing an intricate symbol wide enough for all of us to stand in.