Episode 11: Gone But Not Lost

Note: This episode takes place after Season 1 of The Mortal Babysitter. Please read at your own discretion.

He strolled through the city streets, the chatter and chuckles of the crowds drifting like dragonflies. Everywhere he glanced, smiles shined, with the peace of the Division gleaming alongside the radiant sun.

For him, however, a beautiful scene like this offered only grayness, the richness of reality drowning in the bleakness. But recently, the world has been stitching itself for the bunny. The colors have been gradually returning, offering him a somewhat stable sense of normalcy.

Not the paradise he'd grown to cherish, but something manageable, at the very least.

Before long, the animatronic arrived at the front of a sizable structure, faced with walls of wood and cement alongside broad pristine windows. Near him, a pair of glass doors stood, and upon inching a little closer, they slid open at his presence, allowing him to enter.

Inside, he found the makings of a waiting room. Cushioned seats aligned themselves in orderly rows, with small tables wedged in-between, their tops adorned with various magazines and news articles.

The bunny ambled past all that, heading, instead, for the curved birch counter towards the front of the room. There, a nurse sat behind a computer screen, her fingers tapping away at the keyboard despite the paper bag covering her head.

"Hey, Amber," the rabbit said once he reached.

"Lucky!" the nurse cheered. "So good to see you. Dr. Clarke should be all ready for ya."

"Good to know. Thanks."

Cleared to proceed, the bunny made his way to and up the oak stairs near the side, ascending into a carpeted hallway where a multitude of doors greeted him, each begging for his knock.

Only one won his attention, however: the door at the far end, its face decorated with the modest engraving DR. ISAAC CLARKE.

The animatronic tapped his knuckles against the wood.

"Dr. Clarke?" he called out. "You in there?"

"Come on in, Lucky," a voice replied on the other side.

The bunny did just that, swinging the door open to bring himself into an immaculate office space. Everything one would expect—bookshelves, awards, plaques—was put on full display.

Behind the desk, a middle-aged mortal read from a handful of documents, his glasses gleaming from the sun's rays blending into the window close by. Upon the rabbit's arrival, however, the man set down his papers to rise to his feet, showing fully his dress shirt and slacks.

"Lucky," he said, shaking the animatronic's hand. "Glad you could make it."

"Not much else to do on a Wednesday afternoon," the bunny chuckled. "Besides, I'm starting to come around to the fact that you're a really good listener."

Dr. Clarke grinned. "Wouldn't have this job if I wasn't." He then gestured towards a long couch situated in a corner of the room. "Shall we get started?"

"I wouldn't mind that."

Thus, the rabbit took his spot on the furniture, lying on his back as his gaze never strayed from the ceiling. And for the next hour, he let the various critters which fluttered in his mind loose into the world, his syllables more colorful than a rainbow as the feelings of his mechanical heart poured through.

Dr. Clarke, meanwhile, sat patiently on a stool nearby, occasionally scratching his notebook with his pen, but for the most part, lending the bunny his undivided attention.

Eventually, the patient's venting leaned towards his dreams.

"I saw her again, Doc," the bunny said. "The girl from my dreams. Even spoke with her this time around."

"What did you talk about?" Dr. Clarke asked. "If you don't mind my asking."

"Well, she seemed to be in a pinch, so I lent her a hand. Gave her the push she needed." Confusion plagued the rabbit. "I just don't understand how I'm seeing her in such a complex way. I mean, she's just part of my imagination, right? After all, there's no way someone could remind me of B that much."

"Well, dreams are a powerful thing, Lucky," Dr. Clarke said. "They often put on display our most true selves—what rumbles in these hearts of ours. Pair that with your loss and your mind is bound to come up with a way to cope. This girl you're seeing may just be your subconscious trying to make your memories with B come alive, which there's no shame in doing. She was the love of your life, after all. All in all, I think you're moving at a terrific pace. You're slowly patching your life back up, and I'm glad to be the one overseeing your progress."

"Thanks, Doc," the bunny said. "I appreciate the help."

Before long, his session came to a close, and the animatronic saw himself out.

"Same time next week?" he asked.

"Of course," Dr. Clarke said. "Take care, Lucky. See you soon."

With that, the rabbit made his way out of the building and back into the streets. However, his discussion with his therapist wouldn't flee from his focus; specifically, about his dreams regarding a certain girl with a rose earring.

There's something odd about what I've been seeing, like I need to read between the lines or something.

He looked to the azure sky.

It's been a whole year, and not a day goes by that I don't think about you. I know I'm supposed to move on, but part of me still thinks you're out there.

Who knows? Maybe you're having your own journey right now.