Chapter 21 : Full Circle

When you first started your job at Exit Ghost theatre company, you'd been (extremely) excited

When you first started your job at Exit Ghost theatre company, you'd been (extremely) excited. But you didn't have any specific expectations.

You hoped to get some experience and learn from it, perhaps even make a few connections that could help you down the road with your career.

    The last thing you expected was to fall in love. Especially with your boss.

At the beginning of the internship, if you were asked to predict what you would be doing right before your first dress rehearsal with the company, standing in Mr.Barber's bedroom with him as he got dressed would be almost last on the list.

Nicole and Henry had been gone for almost a week in L.A. and although you were glad to have alone time with Charlie, it did feel strange to be in the home that he shared with her, even if she wasn't around.

"What do you think, sweetheart? The white or the blue?" Charlie asked you as he held up two different shirts, looking them over.

You ran your fingers over the material of both, thinking about it. "I like the blue." You answered, then looked up at him with a cautious smile. "It's just going to be us, though, Charlie. You don't have to worry about the way you look." You reminded him.

Although it was a more formal version of rehearsal, there wasn't going to be an audience. You were surprised that Charlie was fussing so much with unnecessary details that he usually didn't think about.

Charlie's head snapped towards you as he considered this, "I know that, but..." He began defensively then trailed off when he saw the sincere expression on your face. You weren't trying to tease him or call him out. You were helping him relax. He realized that.

He kissed your forehead, holding you in place briefly with his hand on the back of your head to make sure you knew that he wasn't upset like he might've previously shown. "I know that, honey." He repeated with a tender voice this time. "But I just want everything to go well. I'm getting nervous because I'm usually more confident at this point."

You nodded sympathetically. "You just have a lot going on in your life outside of the play right now. There's nothing wrong with the show. There's no need to be self-conscious. I promise."

Charlie gave you a grateful glance, smiling affectionately at you as he pulled his t-shirt off. He folded it up neatly before placing it on top of his dresser, wanting to wear it to bed again before he ran it through the wash.

When he began unbuttoning the dress shirt to remove it from the hanger, you quickly moved behind him and wrapped your arms around his middle. You peppered kisses all over the bare skin on his back, squeezing him tight.

Charlie let out a deep, surprised laugh, allowing you to do so. "What are you doing?" He asked you, chuckling as you continued to kiss him. The feeling physically tickled him as much as it made his heart soar.