Chapter 6: Thunderstorm

(A/N: Just a reminder that 'cheating' happens in this fic so if that bothers you, I wouldn't continue to read! I would assume I've already lost those readers, but just to make sure. I'm so happy that you are all enjoying it so far! <3)

You were convinced that standing in Charlie Barber's apartment would always be a fucking weird experience.   

    Actually, as you walked in the front door and politely kicked your shoes off, it was even more uncomfortable than it had been the first time you were there because last time you were there, you hadn't spent the night before with Charlie pressing you against his desk.

    "Hi, perfect timing, we were hoping to leave a little early." Nicole said as she moved so she was able to shut the door behind you.

    You tried to ignore how pretty Nicole looked as she fastened an earring behind her ear, more dressed up than you'd seen her before. It wasn't lost on you that she probably spent time getting ready for their date, it made you sad. "I could've shown up earlier than this if you needed me to." You assured her.

    She waved her hand dismissively, a smile on her face.  "Oh, no, you're fine." She said to you genuinely. Nicole asked you to get to the apartment at six and you were here fifteen minutes early. "I appreciate it."

    You heard your name being yelled excitedly and then Henry was running into the room, sliding in his socks around the corner with a few toys in his hands, setting them on the living room table so that you could play with him.

    "Hi, Henry." You grinned, heart warming at how happy he was to see  you. You got the idea that he needed a little more one on one attention than he was currently getting from his parents. It was becoming pretty clear to you how broken Charlie and Nicole's marriage really was, how much time they focused on trying to fix it. You reminded yourself that you were only furthering the wedge between them.

    "He ate already," Nicole was talking to you but she was distracted, grabbing various items like keys and putting them into her purse. "Feel free to help yourself to anything, if you're hungry. He might ask for a snack later and it's up to you if you want to give it to him."

    "Oh, thank you." You told her, feeling even more guilty because of how accommodating she was being to you. "Same bed time as before?"

    "Same as before." She agreed, patting down the pockets of her jacket and glancing inside her purse, making sure she had everything she needed. "Charlie, we should get going!" Nicole yelled in the direction of the hallway, sending you an apologetic smile for talking loudly so close to you.

    At the mention of Charile's name, even though you were fully aware you'd have to see him, your heart sped up. You hadn't been around the two of them at the same time since you and Charlie had been so close to each other in your kitchen and after what happened after work the night before, the situation was so much more complicated.

    Charlie had been standing in his bedroom, listening to the conversation you and Nicole had been having since you walked in.  He was trying to work up the nerve to walk out and see the two of you standing with each other, he wasn't sure how he'd handle it.

    It was strange. He wasn't happy about betraying Nicole but he was surprised by how okay he was with what the two of you had done. It was fucked up on many levels. But Charlie had been lonely and unhappy for so long, a part of him thought he deserved you. It was selfish but it was the truth, he felt like he deserved to feel appreciated and wanted, it was part of the twisted way he justified his feelings and actions towards you.

    As he exited the bedroom and made his way into the living room, he had to tell himself not to hesitate in his strides when he saw you standing there. It was almost comical, how you looked like an angel but you were bringing so much sin into his life.