Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Lunch with Coworkers

KENNEDY

I was becoming more comfortable at work as well. Both with the work duties and with the coworkers. I had been going to lunch with Mike a couple of times. He was one of the managers in the licensing department. His office was next to mine, which was how we met. He was a friendly guy in his early thirties, with dark hair and intelligent grey eyes. 

We were out getting sandwiches for lunch on Friday, together with my assistant, Louise, when my phone started to go off with incoming text messages. The first few were from Sammy. We usually didn't text that much during the day, but it happened occasionally so I wasn't overly concerned until I read the message.

'Don't know if this is real, but thought you should know.' She had attached a link to a newspaper article. As soon as I clicked on the link I knew I wasn't gonna like it. It brought up a news article about the previous nights' hockey game in St. Luis, which was Nash's old team. The article was, just like had expected, about him. It featured among others a photo of Nash locked in an embrace with a tall girl with dark curly hair. They both had huge smiles on their faces. I groaned and was debating whether I should ignore the article and put my phone away, but Sammy had sent it to me so it may be important that I read it. Maybe that girl was important?

I pushed the button on the side that turned the screen off, but changed my mind and turned it on again. This was exactly what I was worried about. Nash hooking up with girls when he was out traveling. Which, I had to remind myself, he was allowed to do, because we were not in a relationship. We were just friends.

Damn it!

I sighed and bit down on my lip. Did I want to know what was going on? My phone kept buzzing with more texts, reminding me to make a decision. I bit the bullet and started to read the article. It commented on how the hockey league's notorious player was back in town and had started both a fight at the game and picked up a new girl. Maybe rekindling an old flame?

I had seen the game and knew that the fight was not Nash's fault, but that did stop him from giving back just as much as he received. He ended up with a penalty just like the other guy. Maybe it was just a bitter reporter, who was upset that their star player had left for the New York Empires? The photo of the girl bothered me though.

What the hell was Nash up to? Who was she?

"Who is that? Louise asked. She was sitting next to me and leaning over so she could glance down at my phone over my shoulder.

"It's an article about the Empires last game," I answered, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. It was partially true. It was about Nash but it referenced the game.

"Oh yeah?" Mike perked up. "Are you into hockey?"

"Yeah."

"Empires fan I guess?" He asked with a knowing smirk as he picked up his sandwich.

"Yes, absolutely."

"That's cool." He nodded his head and finished chewing before he continued. "We get tickets sometimes. I can let you know the next time we do if you want," he offered. I didn't have the heart to tell him I had season tickets so I just said that would be great. I was not ready for anyone to know about my background with Nash.

"Isn't that the famous hot player that has the cologne ad?" Louise wondered, still looking at the article on my phone.

"Yes."

"Can I see that?" Mike asked and reached for my phone.

"Sure."

I handed the phone over to Mike who took it and leaned back on the chair. He pushed his glasses further up his nose and focused his grey eyes on the small screen. I took that as my cue to start eating. I picked up my fancy sandwich and took a bite. I had kind of lost my appetite, but I knew I needed to eat something if I was to make it through the rest of the day.