Ride Home

~Chapter Seven~

Grace and Jenny walked out of the bakery inhaling the fresh breezes brush them by. Grace was still filled with so much confusion over the way Alex had acted in the office, but now she just chose to ignore it. He was by far the strangest man she had ever met, and adding the fact that he had mentioned she reminded him of someone just made things stranger. Who was he talking about exactly? Could he have been referring to the great Victoria Elven?

Grace smirked and shook her head, year right, she thought as they crossed the street.

"So why so thoughtful?" Jenny asked.

"Just thinking about the situation in the office," she whispered.

"Oh, I guess our boss just has trouble picking up girls after all it's been three years since he's had any," Jenny joked.

"He wasn't trying to hit on me, he was...he looked confused." Grace replied.

"Of course he's confused; it's been a while since a pretty girl has caught his attention."

"What did Victoria Elven look like?" she asked.

"You got me there, I have no clue, we've just heard about her."

Grace didn't ask any further and kept her mouth shut, she wasn't about to go digging into Alex's past that would be completely weird.

****

Alex entered the bakery's link into the interned search bar and waited for it to load. A beautiful picture of Vicky was the first thing that popped up as she stood next to an exquisite cake. Her smile seemed to glow as she timidly looked into the camera; her long hair tied into that braid as lose strands of hair flowed out. He then shuffle through some papers and pulled out Grace's id photo and compared them both.

He quickly rose off the chair shutting down his computer and rushed out the office door in search of Grace. He found her crossing the street with another worker and he came to a halt at the front door.

"Damn it," he said under his breath.

He stared after her and then saw as the brunette next to her waved good bye and walked off. This was his only chance and God help him he hoped that this would work. He approached her quickly and felt his chest tightened. Reaching out his hand he gently laid it over her shoulder and she quickly turned around.

"Boss," she gasped placing a hand over her heart.

"Listen Grace...I'm really sorry about what happened in there," he said.

"It's fine...I need to go," she whispered.

"Can I give you a lift?" he asked taking a step towards her.

"Oh no please don't bother, its fine I like to walk."

"I insist, please," he replied crossing his arms.

Grace stared up at Alex and let out a defeated sigh, she simply nodded and the most dashing smile was flashed her way. She cleared her throat to hide the blush creeping up on her and followed after him.

They reached the back of the bakery and soon they drove off in the direction of her house.

"So...how did you get into baking?" Alex asked trying to keep the silence from growing thicker.

"I...uh, it came naturally to me."

"Did you study for it?"

"No...I don't," Grace blew out a frustrated breath and looked out the window. Should she tell this stranger what had happened to her three years ago to make sense of what she was trying to say? Might as well, she thought.

"After the accident I was in three years ago I lost all trace of my memory, I can't remember anything at all." She replied stealing a glance in his direction. She had told him this earlier in the office but she was more certain that he hadn't listened.

"So you don't remember anything at all?"

"No, my parents helped me through the whole deal, after I woke up I was freaking out trying to remember were exactly I was. It was confusing at first, and then I was sat down and explained everything.

****

Alex felt a big grin want to creep up on him, but instead he kept a serious expression trying to listen to everything Grace or better yet Vicky, he hoped was saying. He stole a glance at her and let only a small smile escape him. Was God giving him a second chance?

His car finally came to a stop in front of her house and she furrowed her brow looking in his direction.

"I don't remember telling you my address," she whispered.

"I know all the phone numbers and addressed to my employee's," he replied.

"Well thank you for the lift," she said.

"Grace...is it wrong to ask you to lunch tomorrow?" he blurted out before he regretted it. Too fast, you should have waited, he thought.

****

Say yes! Say yes! Her mind screamed as she stared at Alex surprised. Was he really asking her to have lunch with him? Embarrassment flooded through her as she felt her cheeks blush.

"I...uh, sure," she replied slipping out of the car quickly. She closed the door before he could say anything and made her way inside feeling her heart hammer in all directions. One thing she knew for certain and she couldn't explain was that there was a deep affection that connected her to him. She almost felt as if she was in love. Grace placed a hand to her forehead and made her way upstairs. A cold shower would do her good right about now.