Honest Truth

Chapter Twenty Three

            Max froze and stared up at Grace unable to answer right away.  She had been the one to break into the house.  That explained why her arm was bandage, she had caught her sleeve on that rusty nail.  Finally he found his voice and rose off the table very aware that her hand was still pressing down on his.  Max offered a crooked smile and leaned in to whisper in her ear.

            "Somewhere a lot more private would suffice."  Vicky leaned away and took her hand off of his nodding.

            "Back here," she whispered.  Max followed after her keeping his eyes on the back of her head.  He hated to admit just what a woman Vicky had grown into.  That dress was tempting him to look her up and down.  Instead he focused on the chocolate color of her hair, the way it was beginning to turn into small waves as it hair dried.

            She pushed past a door and waited for him to step inside.  Then she shut the door and leaned her back against it crossing her arms.

            "Well?" she asked arching an eyebrow.

            "First of all, you will explain to me why you broke into Alexander's home?" he asked.

            Vicky bit her lip and looked down her face blushing again.  She shifted from foot to foot and then let out a defeated sight.

            "I needed to know...if it was true," she whispered never meeting his eyes.

            "What? If Alex is a murderer?" he chuckled.

            Vicky nodded and brushed her bangs away from her eyes looking everywhere except in Max's direction.

            "You have no idea just how much that man loved her, still loves her.  Alex will never get over the fact that he lost the one and only thing that really meant something to him."

            "Then why did he kiss me?" Vicky blurted out.  Max grinned and watched as she covered her mouth.

****

            Grace felt her jealousy go haywire as Max mentioned just how much Alex still loved Victoria Elven.  Her face redden in embarrassment, and she quickly covered her mouth.  She wanted to kick herself in the rear end for letting her emotions take control.

            "He told me about that Grace." Max chuckled.  She hated the way he was leaning against the wall casually, enjoying the way her embarrassment clearly showed.

            "He did?" she asked surprised.

            "Yeah he did...but in all honesty there is a lot you don't know, and probably don't want to know.  So I suggest that you leave here and now and forget what you saw in those documents." Max responded.

            "I have a right to know what Alex is doing; he is snooping around on my private life. I could have him go to jail for stalking me." She retorted.

            "Grace...are you certain about this? Are you certain you want to know what's going on?" Max asked.  His face grew serious as he looked at her, and she knew that maybe she was walking into dangerous waters.  Nevertheless she took a deep breath and forced her head to nod in agreement.

            Max let out a sigh and pulled away from his leaning position and walked towards the door.

            "Where are you going?" she asked pressing her hand against the door.

            "You mean, where are we going." he replied.

            Max motioned with his head for Grace to follow him feeling a tight knot bind her tonsils.  Her legs where shaking and her heart was hammering but she had to know just what on earth was going on.