Chapter Twenty Five

.:Kat's POV:.

The sun shone brightly the next day, Rick had not come back with Glenn or Herschel yet as Daryl and I found out last night. Apparently Hershel took off without anyone taking notice. I kept to myself this morning, throwing my knife at the marker I made on a tree. My mind whirling with thoughts.

Freaks snarling and skin ripping echoed inside my head, a little girl's scream soon canceled out my dark thoughts and made it even darker as tears trickled down my cheeks.

Hailey was gone. My poor child. I failed to protect her. I couldn't keep lyin' to myself, living on false hope.

I threw my knife back at the tree, completely missing as my vision blurred. Dropping to my knees as my chest caved in on me. Hailey's blue eyes and toothy grin appeared in my head, picturing her running through my Pop's fields. So free and full of life.

"Kitty!" A voice called.

Wrapping my arms tightly around myself, I ignored his calling and hoped he'd leave me alone. But I knew better. A hand grabbed on my arm, tugging at it.

"Come on." His raspy voice urged, I pulled my arm out of his grasp.

"Let me be, Daryl." I sniffed, staring at the grass. "I don't want to move."

It was silent for a minute before Daryl lifted me over his shoulder, carrying me to what I assumed would be the way to the house. He ignored me as I screamed and hit his back for the most part.

"Shut yer trap, woman." Daryl growled. "Gonna be bringin' all kinds of geeks this way."

Rolling my eyes, I continued to punch his back but this time keeping my mouth shut. He carried me all the way into the house and dropped me onto my feet, pointing behind me.

I slowly turned around and my eyes widened.

No way was I seeing this. My mind was surely messin' with me.

There she sat in front of me, between Lori and Andrea. Her brown hair a matted mess with leaves and twigs, dirt caked all over her face and her clothes ripped. But she was still the most beautiful littlest thing I ever did see.

Tears fell down my cheeks when she finally looked up from her lap, a tear filled smile appeared on her face as she shot like a rocket towards me.

Catching her tiny body in my arms, my legs gave out from under me as I hugged her tightly into me. Never letting her go ever again.

"Hailey.." I sobbed out, kissing her head. "Oh, baby. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Mama." Hailey cried into my neck. "It was scary."

Tears fell quicker down my face, kissing her cheek. "I know it was, baby. Mama is so sorry. I'm not letting you out of my sight ever again."

Hailey nodded into my neck, her little fingers tangling in my hair.

Someone clearing their throat behind me, glancing back to see Daryl and Rick behind me. Daryl nodded his head into the other room in which Rick went into, holding the door open for us.

Daryl helped me onto my feet, taking Hailey from my arms which made my heart race.

"No-" I went to reach for her, but Daryl gave me a pained look.

"Is alrigh', Kitty." He said softly, handing Hailey to Lori. "Hailey doesn't need to hear this conversation Rick said."

That confused me for a minute, but Daryl took my wrist and led me into the other room. Rick shutting the door behind us and taking a seat at one of the chairs in the dining area. Daryl pulling me down to sit in the chair in front of him, while he stood over me with his hands on my shoudlers. Both of us waiting on Rick to start.

"I uh - I have some news for you two." Rick started, glancing down at the table and then looking at us. "News that you're not gonna like."

"What is it? Are we leavin?" I asked him, Rick shook his head.

"No. It deals with Hailey." My heart sunk.

"Well, what about my daughter?" Daryl asked, his voice rising in anger.

"We found her with the boy we brought back." I raised my eyebrow in confusion. "I'll explain that in a minute. But the boy and her were with another group of men and," Rick cleared his throat. "Hailey told me these men touched her."

Daryl's hands on my shoulders tightened but I didn't feel it, my body gone completely numb.

"Hailey was raped by them."

======================================================

Hey, guys!

Sorry these chapters are coming out short but hey, at least I'm updating! :)

So surprise! Hailey was finally found and ALIVE!

And also, the ending of Bite Me is coming really soon. I don't know what chapter yet but I know it won't be too far off now. And there will be NO sequel.

That's all for now. Thanks for sticking with me and sorry for the late updates