Chapter Nineteen

.:Kat's POV:.

"Come on! Come on!" I screamed at the last five freaks, hopefully the last. "I'm righ' here! Want some of this?!" I kept egging them on as they stumbled, reaching for me.

I smirked as I lunged at the mechanic one, name on him reading Adam. Sinking my knife deep into his skull, stabbing him in the brain. Quickly rolling off him and leaving my knife in his head, I grabbed the closest rock that was not only heavy enough but sharp as well and clunked it roughly into the next freak that tried to take a bite out of me.

"Nice try, ye ugly thing." I breathed out, before taking down the next three with some slight trouble as I was completely out of breath.

The blood trickling down my arm from when I scraped it on a rock did not help earlier when I had a million of 'em on me. They came a lot quicker once the rust, copper like smell filled their noses and caught their full attention.

"Damn it." I muttered as I watched the blood come down a little quicker.

Ripping a part of my shirt off so I could wrap it around my arm, I glanced up at the sky to see that it was getting a bit dark outside now. I needed to get back to Hershel's, Hailey has to be worried sick over me.

Yanking my knife out of the one freak that was once known as Adam, I tightened my hand around it and ran full speed back to Hershel's farm, leaping over anything that laid in my way while also trying to run silently. Something I picked up while the world went to shit.

Upon entering Hershel's farm, I noticed that no one was in their tents and all the lights in the house were on. Ignoring the aching feeling in my lungs, I ran up to the house and let myself in. Closing and leaning against the door, hunched over as I caught my breath. Everyone that was once scurrying around now stopped dead in their tracks as they eyed me over.

"Kat, what happened out there?" Lori asked, coming to my side as she checked me over.

"Freaks... Everywhere... Ganged up on me an-" A gruff voice yelling upstairs interrupted me, catching my attention. "Was tha' Daryl?"

Lori frowned, giving me a slight nod. "Yes, sweetie. He was shot."

Shot? My heart gave itself a tight squeeze, the breath once again knocked out of me.

"Who shot him?" I demanded, standing up straight.

In that moment, Andrea walked out of the kitchen and dropped a glass plate onto the ground. Shattering to tiny pieces at her feet while her green eyes widened in fear, shaking her head slowly.

"Kat... You're back..." Andrea started, I glared and made my way over to her. "Kat, it was an accident. I couldn't see him. I thought he was... He was..."

"Was what?" I growled. "A walker?! Listen here, blondie, if ye can't see what yer shootin' at, then don't shoot at all. Got it?" She nodded and relaxed a little once I took a step away from her.

Turning on my heel, I began to head up the stairs to Daryl's room. Halfway up, I looked down at Andrea.

"Hey, blondie?" She looked up at me. "Shoot him again? I'll shoot ye myself." With that, I jogged up the stairs two at a time.

After checking a few rooms, I finally found the bedroom Daryl was using. The sight before me broke my heart. All I could see was his back, but what I saw was bloody bandages wrapped around his torso and his head. His back was brutally scarred but I knew where those came from.

Daryl peeked over his shoulder to see me standing in the doorway, he humphed and pulled the blanket over him more. Taking a deep breath, I walked to the other side of the bed and sat on the edge of the bed. Dipping the rag in the warm water, I started cleaning up a few blood trails that leaked from Daryl's bandages. He flinched occaisionally.

"What happen to ye?" He asked me after a few quiet minutes.

"Didn't Hailey tell you?" I asked him.

I finally looked up at him when he didn't answer me.

"Dare? Has Hails been up here with ye?" I asked him, my hands shaking.

He shook his head. "I thought she was with you."

My world began to swirl around me, I hunched over as a few tears fell.

"Oh my God..." I breathed out, launching to my feet and headed for the door.

"Kitty! Where's Hails?" Daryl asked, sitting up slowly.

I didn't answer him. Instead I ran down the stairs, jumping the last five as I ran into the living room where everyone was sat.

"Did Hailey come back?" I asked them. "Is Hailey here?"

All their looks were the same as they each exchanged a grave look. Lori got up and wrapped her arms around me.

"Honey, Hailey never came here."

And there it was. My world... It crumbled.

My legs gave out from beneath me as I fell to the ground, Lori catching me and holding me close as I sobbed in her shirt. I could hear Shane mutter how wonderful of a mother I was, but I was too far upset to even bother with him.

My baby... My baby...