Chapter Thirteen

.:Kat's POV:.

The next morning, Rick unwrapped an arsenal as we all huddled around him and the car.

"Everybody takes a weapon." Rick ordered.

"These aren't the kind of weapns we need." Andrea said, hand on her hip. "What about the guns?"

"Ye don't need guns to kill a freak." I looked up at her, strapping my hunting knife to my thigh. "Besides, these are quieter. Ye won't attract any more walkers on ye unlike a gun. Walkers are attracted to loud sounds. It means food."

"Also, only Rick, Daryl, and I are carrying." Shane added. "We don't want people poppin' off rounds every time a tree rustles."

"Not the trees I'm worried about." Andrea said.

"Then stick to this." I shoved a knife into her hands. "It'll save yer ass along with all of ours."

She glared at me but held on tighter to the knife.

"The idea is to take  the creek up about five miles, turn around an' come back down on the other side." Daryl ordered. "Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark."

"Stay quiet and stay sharp." Rick added in.

Daryl walked by me, eyes on mine as he passed by. Lightly brushing his shoulder against mine. I sighed as I straightened my bow on my back. I kissed Hailey goodbye, I was leaving her safely with Dale. No way was I bringing her into the woods. I trusted Dale in protecting my baby.

It was also something Daryl and I discussed this morning while she slept. He wanted me to stay with her, but I fought with him against that.

Andrea argued back and forth with Dale, going on and on about how she wanted her gun and he forced her out of her decision to stay and die in peace with Jenner.

I rolled my eyes as I fixed Hailey's shirt. Andrea should be thankful she has someone that cares about her that much, always looking out for her. Why did she feel the need to push poor Dale away.

"We're headin' out." Daryl's gruff voice appeared beside me, glancing in Andrea and Dale's direction. I nodded.

"Go onto the RV, baby. We'll be back." I told Hailey, gently leading her to the RV.

I placed my hand on Dale's shoulder, his sad eyes looking up into mine. I kissed his cheek.

"Don't let her get ye down, Dale. She needs her space. She'll see ye mean well."

Dale nodded slowly as Daryl grabbed my wrist in his hand, taking me with him as we joined the others as we all headed for the woods.

Few minutes into the woods, Daryl led us to a tent that was set up in the middle of it. Daryl slowed down and stopped, kneeling as he carefully eyed the tent. Me, I just sighed and walked around him, pulling my knife out of it's sheath.

A hand tightening around my wrist stopped me from taking another step toward the tent. I didn't need to look back to know it was Daryl.

"Are you crazy?" It wasn't Daryl, but Rick. "You don't know what's in there."

I gave him a look. "That's why I was gon' find out."

I carefully made my way closer to the tent, feeling a prescence behind me. Either Rick or Daryl. I glanced back to see that it was Daryl, he nodded as he pointed the crossbow in the tent's direction. I took a deep breath, surprised that he's actually letting me go through with this. Usually he hides me behind him and he puts himself in the unknown danger that could be lurking.