Chapter Twenty Three

.:Kat's POV:.

"Momma!" Hailey smiled, running towards me.

I smiled as I knelt down to the ground, catching her little body in my arms as I hugged her closely. Her dirty brown hair in my face, smelling of fresh apples.

"Momma!" Hailey smiled, pulling back to look at me. "Poppop an I go an pick apples out in the field today!"

I grinned. "You did? You're so lucky, baby."

Something roughly grabbed a hold on my ankle, pulling me out of my sweet dream and pulling me closer to it. My eyes snapping open and grabbing the knife under my makeshift pillow at the same time.

Stopping the blade from slashing Shane's neck by just a hair.

Shane's eyes were on mine, I can see that he probably needed a new pair of boxers.

"Damn it, Officer Dipshit." I threw my knife to the ground. "I almost killed ya."

Shane rubbed his neck where my knife almost slashed. "Yeah. So I just witnessed."

I raised an eyebrow. "So what are ya here for 'sides tryna get killed?"

"I want you to keep an eye on the barn." He asked.

I shrugged. "Was gonna be doin' tha' anyway."

He nodded. "See you out there, Hunter." He left my tent then.

I stared after him, confused as to why he was being so nice to me all of a sudden. He hasn't called me hick or redneck in a while. I snorted, my guard will be even higher now.

Crawling out of my tent, slipping my boots on and placing my knife into place, I started for the barn to inspect it some more. Maybe even take a peek inside somehow.

"Miss Hunter?" Carl's voice came from behind me.

I turned around, smiling at the little blue eyed boy. "Carl, I told you you can call me Kat."

He smiled. "Sorry."

I messed his hair. "Wha' is it, Carl?"

Watching as the young boy reached into his pocket, he said. "This is for you."

He reached out and placed something in my hand. I glanced up at him before looking at the crystal in my hand.

"Hailey wanted me to hold onto it for you. She knew your birthday was coming up soon. That it was always when the outside was really nice out." Carl explained. "She said that she was going to give it to you when it was sunny outside and there were no clouds. Just a light breeze. And well, today is that day." Carl looked down. "Since she's not here... I knew she'd like it if I gave it to you for her."

Tears fell down my cheeks as I hugged Carl tightly, his arms hugging me back. "Thank you, Carl. She would have thanked ya for doing something she couldn't."

Carl sniffed, nodding. "I know she's okay, Miss Hunter - Er, Kat. We'll find her."

Smiling, I nodded. "We will. I promise."

Carl nodded before running off after Lori who was calling his name over, a pretty large book in her hand.

"Nice kid." I said to myself, walking back over to the barn.

At the barn, I could see Daryl over by the stables. Daryl glanced up in my direction then went inside. Not long after, Carol following him inside. My hand gripped my knife tightly, then I let it go. She wasn't worth my time.