Chapter Twenty Two

.:Kat's POV:.

Scraping my knife along the stick in my hand so it turned the end to a sharp point, I glared as I looked at everyone around me. More importantly Carol who stuck right by Daryl's side, following him like a lost puppy dog.

My attention being taken away as Shane limped out of Hershel's house. I smirked and gave him a little wave when his eyes met mine, a dark scowl formed on his face as he went towards Rick.

"Any idea how Shane got a knife stuck in his leg?" Dale asked, sitting beside me.

"Nope." I shook my head, keeping my eyes on what I was doing. "Musta fell on it."

"Shane's sayin' you attacked him." Dale informed what I already knew. "Is this true?"

I stopped chopping at the stick to look at him. "Dale, I-"

"There's walkers in the barn." Glenn interrupted, thankfully. Silencing everyone around us.

"There's what?" Rick asked, hoping he misheard Glenn.

I scoffed. "You heard him. There's God damn freaks in the damn barn!" I yelled, jabbing an arrow towards the barn. "Let's go kill 'em! Those damn things probably ate my kid!"

"Kat, relax!" Rick ordered. "Let's just go check this out forst before we act."

I glared at him, disapproving his actions. But followed anyway as we all made our way to the barn.

Crossing my arms as I stood back, watching as Shane limped to the barn to take a peek inside. He shook his head.

"You can't tell me you're alright with this." Shane growled.

"No, I'm not." Rick said. "We're guests here. This isn't our land."

"But he doesn't know any better!" I argued. "Those things won't spare us like Hershel has for them. They'll take one look at us and eat the very skin off our bones. They'll go for your wife, for your son!"

Rick stormed over to me, hard blue eyes on mine. "Don't you scare my son. I understand you're afraid, but Hershel has to have a reason. Let me talk to him."

Stomping my way away from Rick, I made my way back to my tent. Tossing everything I had to my name out of it.

"What are you doin', girl?" A raspy voice asked.

I sighed heavily. "Leavin'. Wha's it look like?"

"You ain't leavin'." He said.

I turned back to look at Daryl, placing my hands on my hips. "An' why not?"

"Cause I ain't lettin' you." He shrugged.

I laughed humorlessly. "Is there somethin' wrong inside tha' head of yours? First you want me gone, an' now you want me to stay? Which is it?"

Daryl glared. "I want you here. You won't survive out there on your own."

I rolled my eyes. "You're a piece of work, Dixon. Know tha'?"

"Yeah an' your shit stanks too, princess. Now you're staying here. Hails is dead, I don't want you dead either." Daryl said, striking a nerve.

Tears fell as I shoved him, slapping him repeatedly on the chest and arm. "Don't you dare say that! How could you?! That's your daughter!"

"She's probably in tha' damn barn for all we know!" He yelled back. "Stop hittin' me, woman!"

I kept hitting him. "You're such an ass! I hate you! I hate you!"

Daryl grabbed my wrist tightly. "Good."

Stopping my struggle, I stared at him with wide eyes. Daryl let go of my wrist and walked away from me.

What the hell was that about? What did he mean by good?

Lightly shaking my head, my eyes wandered over back to the barn. Rick and Shane standing in front of it, checking it out for any weak spots.

Was Hailey in there?

I was going to find out.

Tonight.

"Shit." I heard a woman growl.

Looking up I saw Maggie standing on the porch, staring in the direction of the barn. I crossed my arms when her eyes landed on me. She glared and ran back inside.

"Cat's out of the bag." I whispered to myself, glancing back at the barn to see it was now only Shane standing in front of it.

Taking a deep breath, i made my way over to him. I could feel all eyes on me, knowing that everyone was waiting for me to make a move.

"Come to finish me off?" Shane asked, staring at the barn.

I smirked. "Naw, not yet." I stood beside him, staring at the barn as well. "What you think we should do about this?"

He shook his head. "Rick says-"

"I don't care what Rick says." I interrupted him. "Those things in there are dangerous. They're killers."

"That's why I said we shoot every single walker in there. Right for the brain." Shane said.

"And I'll be right there beside you." I nodded.

Shane glanced at me. "What if your kid is in there?" He held his hands up. "Just an honest question, fireball. No stabbing."

"Then," I sighed, fighting back tears. "Then I put her down."

"Can you do it?" He asked softly.

I shook my head. "Probably not. But, I don't want anyone else puttin' her down. She's my kid. If she's one, I don't want her to live like that. If that's even living."

"If you shoot it in the heart or leg and it ain't goin' down, it's not living." Shane said.

I nodded. "Got a point there, Officer Numbskull."

Shane rolled his eyes.

I patted his arm. "Go take a walk. I don't think those things are gettin' out of that yet. The lock looks like it has a little more hold to it."

Shane shook his head. "I'm gonna go talk to Rick some more about this. Maybe get him to change his mind."

I snorted. "Good luck with that."

He chuckled. "Yeah, I'll need it."

With that, Shane walked back up to camp. I stayed by the barn. Hearing the growling and groaning of the freaks that were hidden and locked away inside. I wlaked up a little more to peek into the little hole, counting as many of ten freaks in there. Maybe more?

I didn't see any short ones in there, but they could still be in there. Hiding.

Sighing, I took a few steps away.

Seems like safety doesn't exist anywhere. Danger lurks right under our noses.

Or, just a few feet away from where we sleep.