Chapter Sixteen

.:Kat's POV:.

Standing outside on the front porch of Hershel's farm house, I stared out into the open field. Taking in a deep lungful of air as I shut my eyes, enjoying the sense of familiarity. Hearing the horses in the stables neigh, the chickens in the coop clucking, cows out in the field grazing.

"Momma, come on!" I giggled, skipping through the tall grass.

My little legs carrying me as I weaved between the horses that were grazing along with the few cows we owned. I could hear my Momma's laughter behind me.

Soon a pair of arms wrapped around my little body and hoisted me up into their arms. I giggled as I turned around to see that my Pop had me in his arms, hugging me tightly to him. A kind smile on his face, brown eyes bright with joy.

"Gotcha, little girl." Pop chuckled. "Let's take a ride." He said, walking into our little stable to a horse that was all sadled up.

Pop placed me on top of the black and white horse, it's mane soft to the touch and slipped easily through my little fingers. Pop hopped on behind me, wrapping an arm around me as he took hold of the reins.

He whistled for the horse to go and soon, the horse jumped forward as it galloped through the tall grass of our field.

My hair swaying freely behind me, I felt like I myself was flying. Raising my arms high above my head as I laughed, having the time of my life with Pop. I could hear his deep chuckle from behind me as the horse sped up, jumping over a fallen log. Instinctively, Pop's arm around me tightened at the jump so I wouldn't fall off.

I smiled at the memory.

"Thinking of Daryl?" Lori's voice came from behind me. I turned back to look at her, sighing as I shook my head.

"Thinkin' back when I was jus' a little youngin', my Pop would take me out on one of  'is horses an' we would go for a ride." I told her. "Silly of me to be thinkin' tha' when we have so much to be focusin' on now."

Lori shook her head, wrapping a slender arm around my shoulders. "No, it's not silly, sweetie. I think back to the past all the time. It helps me see the good. Plus, now is not all bad. We're still alive and have our children. We're safe here."

I sighed, smiling slightly at Lori. "How's Carl?"

She smiled. "Doing much better, thanks to Hershel." She glanced back inside. "He saved my boy's life, I'm grateful to that man."

Rick then walked out. "Hershel wants us to help out around here. Help collect rocks for Otis." Bit of a strange request, but I shrugged it off.

I nodded. "No prob. The man saved ye boy, I'm more than happy te help."

Rick nodded in my direction as everyone went out to the trees and started collecting huge rocks and placing it in a few wheelbarrows. I smirked as I noticed how uncomfortable Shane looked wearing Otis's clothing.

Serves him right, I thought.

Shane's eyes met mine and he smirked, giving me a little wink. I glared as I handed Hailey a little rock to put in the wheelbarrow. She wanted to help too, since the nice man - as she calls Hershel- saved one of her best friends.

The distant sound of a motorcycle rumbling stopped us from our work as we all looked up, spotting the RV come into view.

"Daddy!" Hailey smiled by my side.

I smiled weakly down at her, ruffling her hair. Seeing Daryl lead the group on his bike, face serious as always.

"Daddy!" Hailey cried out again, running towards him.