Chapter Ten

.:Kat's POV:.

"Mornin'." Dale greeted as I slid my way into the little kitchen area. I nodded as I sat beside Glenn, who had his head in his hands as he groaned.

"Morning." I nodded as Jacqui handed me a breakfast plate.

I tried to be as happy as Dale, but I couldn't after last night when Daryl left. I didn't like knowing he was angry with me. Bad enough he wouldn't talk to me all night, I questioned why he got so mad at me but he just ignored me. Only thing that made my day so far is that I woke up to his arm being wrapped around me as he snored lightly in my ear. Along with Hailey and I living another day. Safely for once since the outbreak.

Him and Hailey are the only people I really truly care about. These other people are nice and great, but I'm not so close with them. Some more than others. But I'll never, ever let Daryl know that I still strongly care for him. He'll push me away even farther.

"Are you hungover?" Carl asked as Rick entered, a smile appearing on Carl's face. "Mom said you'd be."

"Mom is right." Rick sat down, voice raspy.

"Mom has that annoying habit." Lori mumbled, eating her bacon.

"Eggs." T-Dog called out. "Powdered. But I do 'em good. Bet you can't tell." Glenn groaned from beside me, I giggled at his pain as it pulled me out of my dark cloud. "Protein helps the hangover." Glenn groaned again as T-Dog slid more eggs onto his plate.

"Don't ever, ever, ever let me drink again." Glenn mumbled out.

"Thirsty there, Glenn?" I grinned, as Glenn groaned and slammed his head onto the table.

I watched as Shane entered the kitchen area, others joining as well. Hailey plopped herself next to Sophia as Carol fixed them their plates, both girls giggling as they chatted about Sophia's little doll. Eying Shane carefully, I noticed three scratch marks dragged across his neck.

"The hell happened to you?" T-Dog asked, eying Shane. "Your neck?"

"I must have done it in my sleep." Shane answered. I noticed the quick glance he gave in Lori's direction, and how Lori refused to look up at him.

"Never seen you do that before." Rick said, curious.

"Me neither." Shane waved him off, looking at Lori now. "Not like me at all."

These two were horrible liars. I really hoped that Rick was playing dumb in all of this. How do ye not notice somethin' goin' on between yer wife an' best friend? Honestly! I could scream it for these people an' they still wouldn't get it.

"Morning." Jenner walked in.

"Hey, Doc." Shane greeted as we all nodded in acknowledgement.

"Doctor, I don't mean to slam you with questions first thing." Dale said.

"But you will anyway." Jenner said, not turning to look at Dale. Well, that's rude.

"We didn't come here for the eggs." Andrea joined in.

Daryl walked past me and around the table to where Hailey sat, reaching around her and stealing a piece of bacon and a few eggs.

"Daddy!" She poked him with her fork, he tapped the top of her head as he went to lean against the counter once more. Chewing her bacon. Hailey sighed, turning back in her seat as she continued her conversation with Sophia.

Daryl's eyes met mine as the group talked with Jenner about whatever it is they needed to say. I shook my head at him as he shrugged.

"Right this way." Jenner said, grabbing his coffee and walking out of the room.