Chapter 9

James slowly walked to Henry's house, mentally degrading himself for asking Sarah that question.

He reached the place, walked through the gate and knocked on the door.

The door opened and Henry's mom welcomed him in.

"Come in, come in, James. Why'd you have to walk in the dark like that? You should have called us to come and get you."

"Thanks auntie, but you've already done enough for me by looking after Marilyn."

"Don't be silly, Kayla's like our daughter too. At least she can keep Henry in check."

He sat down on the sofa with Henry, "so, how'd it go for you?"

"Not good."

"What happened?"

"I'm in no mood to talk about it."

"Kk, I'll get you something to eat."

Henry's mom came and sat by him, "just wait a little, she wants to finish watching her movie."

"Oh, alright then."

"What's wrong? Why such a long face for a boy so handsome?"

He laughed before replying, "I just have some issues which I need to solve."

"What happened? I'm like a mom to you so don't lie to me."

"Henry and I decided we should help two people find God. I was tutoring the girl today, but then I asked a question that made her angry with me."

"The question you should ask yourself is if you asked the question on God's signal."

"That's the thing, I think so, I thought so, maybe."

"You see, you don't even know. If you want to win a soul for God, how can you do it without Him? You say you are helping people find God, but have you looked within yourself to see if you actually have Him? And if you do, do you heed His words?"

"I'm a Christian, so I'm bound to do so, right?"

"Just saying it doesn't make a difference. There are many people out there who call themselves Christians and yet live like unbelievers. Who are you? Who you say you are? Who others say you are? Or who God says you are? You can only win a soul for God once you have answered that question in the right way."

God, how do I answer this question? I'm so confused.

And there shall be a voice saying this is the way, walk ye therein, when thou turn to the left or to the right.

If you walk according to my lead, then you will be who I say you are. If you walk according to your lead, you will be what you want to be, but will you be who you are meant to be?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path.

He sat there thinking for a while until Marilyn ran towards him and hugged him.

"What's wrong Jamie?"

"Nothing. I just need to fix something."

"With God, anything is possible! I'm gonna go get my bag."

She ran off and he stood up and walked towards the door.

He felt a hand take hold of his and looked down at Marilyn.

"Henry also gave me this lunch box for you."

"Okay, let's go. Bye Henry, auntie and uncle!"

"Don't you want us to drop you off? It's pretty dark."

"Don't worry, I prefer to walk."

He and Marilyn started walking into the evening, taking a few stops to see one thing or another.

"James?" She suddenly asked.

"Yeah?"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just need to talk to God alone. I'll do it when we get home."

"No, I'm going to play with those kids over there, if you want to talk to God, you talk now. You never know when it'll be too late."

"But-"

"Bye!" She ran off before he could say anything and he sighed.

He looked at the sky, forgetting the noises from the park and closed his eyes.

"I've been trying to find a life, on my own, apart from you. I am the king of excuses, I've got one for every selfish thing I do. Tell me what's going on inside of me, I despise my own behavior, this only serves to confirm, my suspicions, I'm still a man in need of a saviour. I wanna be in the light as you are in the light. Wanna shine like the stars in heaven. Oh lord be my light and be my salvation, all I want is to be in the light."

He walked a bit further,
the question you should ask yourself is if you asked the question on God's signal.

"The diseases of self runs through my blood, it's a cancer that's fatal to my soul. Every attempt on my behalf has failed to bring this sickness under control. Tell me what's going on inside of me, I despise my own behavior, this only serves to confirm, my suspicions, I'm still a man in need of a saviour. I wanna be in the light as you are in the light. Wanna shine like the stars in heaven. Oh lord be my light and be my salvation, all I want is to be in the light."

He looked up at the night sky, "God, if I've done something that doesn't satisfy you, then I am sorry. I'm sorry if I've made a mistake that will cost me my life as your child. I want to walk with you, be with you and most of all love you. Please help me to do this, so I can also help others out in life. Please. It's in Jesus name I pray Amen."

He felt a large burden taken off of him and looked around for Marilyn.

She was talking to a man by the twirly whirly.

He sped towards them and quickly pulled her back.

"Marilyn, how many times have I told you not to talk to strangers?"

"Jamie, he seems like a really sad man."

"You know, you remind me of my daughter when she was little. She was really cute and sweet. That, that... It was long ago."

"Sir, would you like any help?"

"No, I'm fine. Just keep your daughter here on the right path young man." He was clearly drunk.

The man started walking away when he felt a hand on his shoulder, he turned around to face James, "sir, Jesus loves you."

He chuckled, "how can he love me? Look at me!"

Then Marilyn put her hand in his, "you might find it hard to believe, but He does love you."

"She's right, just let yourself believe it and He will do wonders in your life, sir."

They left the drunk man thinking and continued their walk home.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not on thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy path.