Chapter 13

Sarah slowly closed the door and exhaled. She started making her way upstairs, ignoring the drunk man on the sofa.

"Where have you been?" He asked, but she continued moving towards the stairs.

"I said, where have you been!" His voice echoed throughout the living room.

She turned around and walked towards him, "What's it to you? I was out with a friend. And you? What have you been doing? Drinking your head off? Why don't you just go ahead and kill me like you did mom!"

With that, he slapped her and she fell down. She held her cheek and looked at him with tears in her eyes.

"What gave you the right to say that? Do you know how much I loved your mother? Do you know how much I miss her?"

"If you did, you wouldn't have killed her. For goodness sake you also killed your child in the process!"

"What do you mean?"

"Of course you don't know. I could have had a young brother by now. But because of you, I don't. When you made made her fall near the pool, she hit her head and both she and my sibling lost their lives."

"I don't understan-"

"She was carrying your child! But you just killed them, you killed them and me."

That was when his heart sank, he staggered back and fell into the sofa.

Sarah ran upstairs and slammed the door, slumping by the side and crying.

"God, if you're really there, then why? Why do I have to go through this? Why did I have to go through this? Why did my mom have to leave me? She was all I had. Now I have nothing."

You have me.

"How can I want you when you took her away from me?"

If I gave her to you, didn't I have the right to take her back.

But you also took him, my brother and why would you give something just to take it back anyway?

I am the giver of all good and perfect gifts and adds no sorrow to them. My wish is not for you to perish but for you to come home.

"How can I do that? You took the things that mattered most to me."

Make me what matters most to you. Job also lost everything but he didn't forget me. He felt worse than you, but didn't forsake me. He went through much worse, but didn't curse me. Why then are you cursing me?

"How can I stop myself? Everything is going wrong. You took her, you took him and you left me with a monster. I kept crying but you never heard me."

Seek and you shall find, ask and you will receive, knock and the door will be opened to you.

"How can I find you?"

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no one can get to the father except through him. Accept him and you will never thirst again.

"That won't bring me back my mom."

Job's steadfastness didn't bring back any of his old things either, it brought him better things. Remember God is able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all we ask or think. If he gave his only son for you, what can't he give you?

Sarah stood up and walked to her mom's room. She opened the drawer and picked up her old Bible.

She opened up John chapter 1.

"God, I just want to say I am so sorry, I'm sorry for everything. All this time I knew you were real but refused to accept it. I knew you loved me but I repaid your undying love with hatred towards you. I'm sorry and today, I confess with my mouth and believe in my heart that you are Lord. You're my God and I love you for that. And I pray, that today, the first I've prayed in the last two years won't be the last but I shall live for you in all my ways forever more. In Jesus' name I pray Amen."

After the prayer, she felt peace, peace like never before, peace she hadn't experienced in years.

She stood up and put the Bible back in the drawer, then looking at their old family photo on the drawer.

Her mom was smiling and tickling her along with her father.

Eight years since the photo was taken and eight years since they'd ever smiled like that.

She remembered that it was just one week after that when everything changed.

Her father walked into the house, a bottle of beer in his hand.
Sarah was drawing in the dinning room and her mom was cooking.

"Somebody get me something to eat!" He shouted and fell in his seat.

Her mom rushed towards him, "what happened? Why are you drunk."

"Would you stop interrogating me and get me some food?"

"What happened? This is not the Godly way and you'll set a bad example for Sarah."

"Godly way, my foot! Do you know I lost my job today? All because of this so called God."

"What?"

"What's right? All because I serve the Lord, I've lost everything."

"God always has a plan, such things are bound to happen."

He threw the glass bottle and shouted, "don't speak to me in that tone!"

That's how it all started and from there, things turned for the worst.

"Woke up cause the light poured in.
Day two let the flood begin.
Day one left me in my bed, I can barely remember it.
They tell me pains gonna come in waves.
They tell me I'm gonna be okay.
Still waiting for the first to break.

Why would you give and then take her away.
Suddenly end would you not let it fade.
What I would give for a couple of days. A couple of days.

Is it just across the Jordan or a city in the stars.
Are ya singing with the angels, are you happy where you are.
Well until this show is over and you've run into my arms.
God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart."

She stayed in her mom's room for the rest of the night, leaving her father alone downstairs.

John 14: 1
Let not your heart be troubled : ye believe in God, believe also in me.