Chapter 18

Sarah's POV

My eyes fell on my dad, he just stood there smiling. He didn't look drunk, he looked... Different.

I didn't move my eyes until everyone started clapping and shouting.

"Look Jamie, it's the man we saw last time. The one who was talking about his daughter," Marilyn turned towards my dad and so did James.

Alvira put her hand on my shoulder, urging me to go and talk to him.

I slowly walked towards him and he gave me a smile and started talking, "how ar-"

"What do you want?" I cut him short. My blood was slightly beginning to boil.

"I heard a commotion and came out-"

"I said what do you want?" I know that wasn't all. He wasn't the type to hear a commotion and actually take interest in its cause.

"Reign, I just want to say I'm sorry and I want to change things," he even used my middle name.

"You know, it's been years, for so many years, you've been distant and now all of a sudden, you want one day to change everything?"

"I know it's a lot to ask, but I regret my behavior, I regret drinking, I regret hurting you and your mother-"

"For goodness sake, you killed her!" I didn't bother the gasps or stairs at the moment.

"I know, but I want to make things right, I've started by fixing my relationship with God, now I want to fix my relationship with you."

I was quiet while my friends kept pushing me to accept, "fine! Everyone deserves a second chance."

He smiled and pulled me into a hug and miss Fischer, our neighbor stood behind us smiling.

"But excuse me, I have a lot of things to get out of my system," I started walking down the street aiming to get to the bridge.

So is this what it comes with? Is this what believing in God comes with?

And so much more.

Well then, I really am glad I gave my life to you Jesus.

But keep in mind that just because you have become a Christian, not everything will be easy. You have given yourself to carry the cross with Jesus, there will surely be problems.

How can I solve them, God?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he shall direct your path.

The song that immediately started playing in my head was my trust is in you. It was my dad's favorite song some years ago and just like him, it became mine.

After a while I realized I was at home and I could hear voices from inside.

I would have made it to the bridge, but the sun had already set.

I was about to open the door but heard my dad talking. I peeked through the window to see our neighbour and some other people inside.

"I wonder where she could be," my father said setting the dining table as the neighbour placed food on the table.

"She's probably fine, she just needed to get some things off her mind."

"I just hope I can make it up to her."

"Can I tell you something?" Our neighbour asked him and turned towards him.

"Of course Mrs Fischer."

"Though you have repented, you should know that the urge to drink will still be there. Don't give in to it."

"I won't, I'll do anything for my daughter. I wish her mom was still alive, but it's too late for that. It's true that you never realise how much you need someone until they're gone."

"Well she's still here so make it worthwhile."

"I will, she's all I have left. And I love her."

Without hesitation, I opened the door and ran into his arms. He waa a little shocked at first, but he hugged me back.

"I love you too daddy," he kissed my forehead. "I've missed you so much, Reign."

"I'm sorry I wasn't there, but I'm here now. I promise."

We let go and he wiped my tears before introducing me to Mrs Fischer.

I got to know her sister and brother in law and their children. Turns out she has a son in university.

We all sat at the table and held hands. "Why don't you say the grace?" Lennie, Mrs Fischer's sister asked my dad.

"Me?" We laughed at his reaction.

"Yes you."

"Um, okay. Dear God, I bless your name for this day and for all that's happened in it. As you know I've not gotten a hang of this yet. But I thank you for giving me a chance to get to know you again. As we eat this lovely food made by my lovely neighbour and her family, I ask that it may not weaken us but give us strength to move on. It's in Jesus' name, I pray, Amen.

We chorused in amen and dug into the food. The food was really good and it reminded me of the time Henry's mom asked me to pray. I still couldn't believe I asked God to make the food tasty. But what's impossible for Him? Nothing, the answer is nothing.
He's capable of doing small things and even more capable of doing the biggest things.

While we all settled down to relax, there was a knock on the front door.

"I'll get it," I said beating Mrs Fischer's nephew, Peter to it.

I opened the door and immediately, my smile fell.

What was she doing here? I was about to ask when I saw my little boy pop up from behind her with a smile.

"Good evening, Sarah," she greeted and I was at a loss for words.

Alas I overcame my shock and summoned up the courage to speak, "good evening, Queen."

Joshua 3:7
And the Lord said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so will I be with thee.