Hot Ice Cream

"I'm the lucky bastard because she's my girl

"I'm the lucky bastard because she's my girl."

I read the caption a million times and stare at his photo on Instagram for God knows how long. He is a famous handsome football captain, every girl on campus is crushing on him. Her new girl is an equally popular print model. Me? I'm not a nobody. I'm the smartest and on top of my class but love is not on my side.

A tear runs down my left cheek but I don't bother to wipe it and let the teardrop fall on the smiling lips of my crush.

"Kiss my heartbreak goodbye, lucky bastard."

Another tear escapes but I quickly brush it off. I click on his profile and unfollow him. I inhale deeply and release a hefty sigh.

"I need my ice cream."

I stand from my coral pear-shaped bean bag and grab my pink wallet from the bedside table.

I jog down the stairs and inform my Mom who is cleaning the kitchen that I'm going out.

The slightly cold autumn breeze blows my hair as I walk towards my favorite ice cream shop. The vivid colors of orange, red and yellow leaves falling from the trees are beautiful as they gracefully landed on the green grass. Perfect combination, perfect place, a sight to behold. I chuckle at my silliness. Broken heart makes me poetic.

I push the glass door and enter the shop. Surprisingly, I am the only customer. My eyes immediately dart towards the vast selection of ice cream flavors.

"Good day, Selena!" A deep and familiar voice greets me. I snap my head to look at the owner's son who is smiling brightly, wearing a hairnet holding his brown curls in place and a red apron with a 'Hill's Batch Ice Cream' written in white.

"Hi Finn." I give him a small smile and turn my gaze back on the ice cream, licking my lips.

"What do you want this time?"

"I dunno. I like them all."

"Do you want me to choose for you?"

I glance up to look at him and I forget to breathe when I see his radiant hazel eyes staring at me intently.

"Let me pick your ice cream for today. Yeah?" He smiles showing his white teeth and stretches his sexy lips. Shit! What am I thinking?

"Yeah." My voice comes out like a whisper. He smirks and walks towards the ice-cream cones to get a waffle cone. I observe his swift movement, how his white shirt clings from his broad shoulders to his biceps and wish that he is not wearing an apron so that I can peek at his abs.  Suddenly, he glances at me and my cheeks instantly heat up.

"A chocolate hair." Scoop, place on the cone, glance at me. "Strawberry lips," he mutters and his eyes land on my lips.

Holy shit! I squirm under his gaze as my heart starts to beat faster.

"Pistachio eyes and smooth creamy vanilla skin. There." He smirks once he looks at the sweet dessert on his hand.

Why is it so hot in an ice-cream shop? I unzip my jacket and wipe my clammy hands on my denim shorts.

"Eat here?" He asks as he put a cherry on top of the vanilla ice cream.

No. "Yes." God dammit!

He smile triumphantly. "Choose a seat, I'll be there shortly."

"How mu—"

"My treat. Sit down, Selena."

I sit on the closest chair and place my wallet and phone on the table. I watch him get a red popsicle-stick tissue holder. Finn is on our school's basketball team and known as the hottie ice-cream guy in our town.

"There you go." He stretches his arms to give the ice cream and I get it, making our fingers brush briefly. Heat spreads throughout my body as we stare at each other. He clears his throat and I quickly focus on the cherry.

"Thank you," I say, getting the cherry and popping it into my mouth. "Yum!"

He pulls a chair and sits in front of me. I lick from the chocolate to vanilla and the combination is a delicious blend of sweet, creamy and nutty.

"This is so good! You —" I exclaim but abruptly stop when I notice his intense gaze again. "A-are you going to just sit there and watch me eat?"

He shrugs. "Do you want me to leave?"

"No!" I say quickly. "Let's eat this ice-cream."

"Are you telling me to lick your ice-cream?" says Finn, amusement and mischief are lacing his voice.

"Yes. I mean no. You can get us spoons. I haven't licked this part." I point to the side which doesn't have the trace of my tongue.

"I made it for you. Will you be okay if I drink while you eat?"

"Fine. Please bring two spoons just in case you change your mind."

He stands and walks towards the fridge. He comes back with a bottle of orange gatorade and mineral water as well as two small plastic spoons wrapped in a tissue.

"I guess you need water after eating sweets." He opens the water bottle and slides it towards me. "So who's the lucky bastard this time, the football captain?"

I cough, my eyes widen. "You know?"

"Come on. Give me some credits."

I scoff. "Yeah. We have known each other since ..."

"Ten years."

"That long?"

"Yup." He tucks my hair behind my ears while staring at me with so much affection. "I know when those football and soccer players break your heart and seek the comfort of our ice cream. In spite of that, I'm glad they don't see how lovely you are."

I blink a few times. My heart is thumping so loud I can't hear him anymore, mindlessly, licking the melting dessert.

"Feeling better?"

"Yes." More than better actually.

Ice cream fixes a broken heart. Scratch that. A certain hot ice cream captures my heart.

~***~
This is the very first short story in this collection. This is my entry for 1-2-3 Challenge of YARomance and WattpadESL.

What do you think? Do you want more of Finn & Selena? Yes, please proceed to the next chapter.

Add this story on your private library to be notified whenever I post a new part or follow my wattpad profile or instagram.

Please support my writing through vote, comments and honest feedback. It means a lot. Thank you for reading.

:-) Alya Lorenz :-)