The Parents and I

"We're not going with you, honey," says Segrey.

She whips her head towards her Dad. "What do you mean? You know I can't travel alone." She lifts her hand holding the folded white cane with the white ball at the end.

"You're not going alone Kay," says Anastasia, glancing in my direction. "Jarrod will be with you."

Two weeks ago, I had a talk with Mikayla's parents about whether I can take her on a series of trips. I want her to see the world for as long as she can. The talk didn't end well as I had expected it to.

Whose parents are in their right mind to entrust their precious angel to a gang leader?

Fuck.

But after a week, they called me for another round of talk, and that time the fucking victory was on my side.

I'm whipped. Just a year ago, I didn't care whether I graduated or not. Even my safety and police records were not that important to me. I could die anytime, but I wouldn't give a damn. But Mikayla happens, and I'll fucking do everything to make her mine.

"What?!" she pauses, "you're kidding, aren't you?"

Anastasia shakes her head. "I know you love him Kay."

My heart just leaps out of my chest. Don't you fucking josh me now Anastasia. As if she reads my mind, she looks at me and smiles.

Yes!

I can't control my lips when they curve upward. Fucking victory, I must say.

"I don't," says Mikayla softly yet defiantly.

"You talk about him everyday. You tell us everything about him," she pauses, "you didn't share much about your ex-boyfriends."

"I did. Remember I told you about Frank—"

"That he invited you to his house?"

Mikayla nods.

"You were asking for our permission. That's not sharing, honey," says Anastasia, shaking her head.

"But —"

"You're just scared because Jarrod isn't someone you dream to love. Trust me we feel the same but your happiness is more important."

"How—"

"We're your parents, honey," says Segrey, "we know you very well. When you feel something intense, unknowingly, you always spill it to us directly or indirectly, Segrey chuckles, "you've been like that since you were a kid.".

I can't keep myself hidden anymore. I look at her parents asking their permission if I can talk now.

They nod.

"Hi, Angel. Is it true that you love me too?" As much as I want to hug her, I fucking know not to do that in front of Segrey. I take her hand instead, making her jump in surprise.

"Jarrod! Are you eavesdropping?"

"No Angel. I'm listening."

"Mum! Dad! How could you?"

Her parents shrug.

"You deserve to be happy Kay," says Anastasia.

"Mum, Dad...," she croaks.

After a few seconds, Mikayla closes the distance between herself and her parents. "I love you both. You know that, right?"

When they pull apart, Segrey walks towards me, leaving the two ladies crying.

Typical airport scene. I chuckle mentally.

"Take care of Kay, Jarrod. Don't break your promise or God forgive me, even if you're a former gang leader, I'll kill you," says Segrey in a threatening voice.