chapter 17 - black christmas ball 1976

That same afternoon, Evangeline, Narcissa and Bellatrix found themselves in Evangeline and Regulus' room, getting ready for the annual Black Christmas Ball. Every year, Walburga and Druella would organise the ball as a way to socialise with the pure-blooded elite and marry off their children. But this year was going to be different. This year Evangeline would be introduced to the pure-blood elite as Regulus Black's future wife.

'Auntie Walburga brought you so many dresses,' Bellatrix exclaimed, looking through the girl's closet. She took out one green silk floor-length dress with a leg slit and a straight across neckline and showed it to her sister and Evangeline. 'This would look amazing for tonight.'

'It totally would,' Narcissa agreed with her older sister.

'I don't know girls,' Evangeline said, shaking her head. 'Don't you think it'll be showing off too much?' she asked.

'That's the idea, Evy, dear,' Bella told the younger blonde teenage girl. 'You have to look desirable,' she added.

'It's your first ball, and we have to make you look hot,' Narcissa told Eva.

Bellatrix walked out of the closet with the green dress and set it on the bed. Then she walked behind Evangeline and started playing with her hair. She made a messy low bun and smiled. 'It would look really beautiful like this, Evangeline,' Bellatrix said.

'Oh, and it would go well with some subtle eye make-up and a bold red lip,' Narcissa agreed with her sister.

Bellatrix pushed Evangeline to her vanity table and made her take a seat as she and Narcissa started to prepare her for the ball. Bellatrix did a spell to curl Evangeline's hair and then pinned it into a low messy bun, leaving a few pieces of hair out to frame her face. Narcissa did some quick touch-ups to Evangeline's make-up, adding a tiny black eyeliner wing and a bold blood-red lip.

'Wait until Regulus sees you,' Bellatrix told Eva, smiling. 'If he wasn't in love with you before tonight, he will surely fall in love with you tonight.'

Evangeline waited for the two Black sisters to get ready. When the three women were done getting ready, Bellatrix apparated them to Druella and Orion's manor right outside Islington, not far from the Black family home. The manor where Druella and Orion lived was a gift from Druella's family, the Rosier's, for their wedding.

People started to already gather in the ballroom of the manor, the two Black families making conversation with the guests.

'Okay, so, stay away from drunk men. They're up to no good and as soon as they'll see you, they'll consider you a good and easy fuck and you don't want that to happen, alright?' Narcissa instructed Evangeline.

'Stick with Regulus and his friends. They'll protect you,' Bellatrix added.

'Thank you, girls! You're the best!' Evangeline said and hugged the two older girls.

They went down the stairs to the ballroom, Regulus, Rodolphus, and Lucius were waiting for them at the bottom of the stairs. Regulus extended his hand to Evangeline, which she gladly took.

'Shall we?' Regulus asked.

'We shall,' Evangeline said.

The pair walked to the middle of the dance floor and started dancing. Everyone was watching them. Many were whispering and gossiping about the two. Evangeline could feel the stares. She turned her head around, looking at some of the people who were staring.

'They're watching,' Evangeline whispered in Regulus' ear as the two were waltzing.

'Don't look at them, focus on me,' Regulus whispered.

The couple kept waltzing, Evangeline looking at Regulus directly in the eyes. She smiled softly as she could feel herself calm down and no pressure weighing on her shoulders at all.

She always felt like that when she'd look in hiseyes, she'd always feel at home. She had not experienced that feeling beforemeeting the black-haired boy standing right in front of her.