chapter 21 - new year's 1976-1977, part 3

Evangeline and Regulus had gotten home at dawn after roaming carefree the streets of Queens. The two admired the big borough as they walked around. Much to Regulus's surprise, the city kept its noisiness and liveliness even during the night. Evangeline tried her hardest to forget the conversation she and Regulus had regarding destroying Voldemort. She was scared nonetheless of what might happen to her boyfriend if he tried to go against that vile and cruel man.

Evangeline had never met Voldemort, mainly because everyone said that she'll get to meet their so-called Dark Lord as soon as she marries the family. But also, Regulus wanted her far-far away from that thing, and so did Walburga. Despite her cold exterior, Walburga liked Evangeline. She saw a lot of herself in the girl. She, too, was trapped in this world, bounded by the love she had for one indeed powerful male. But, also, because her family left her behind, just as Regulus and Evangeline told her was the case with the girl.

'Are you still mad at me?' Regulus asked as they entered the apartment.

Evangeline took off her scarf and jacket and hung them on the rack. 'I'm not mad at you, Reg,' she sighed, walking to the couch, sitting down and proceeding to take her boots off.

'Then why are you so quiet?' asked Regulus.

'Because I need to think!' Evangeline exclaimed, standing up and grabbing her boots to put them on the rack.

'What is there to think of?' the Black male asked frustrated.

'There's plenty for me to think about, such as whether you're getting yourself involved in an idiocy or not,' Evangeline argued.

'I'm trying to protect you, and as long as Voldemort is alive, you'll never be safe,' Regulus explained for his reasons. 'For Merlin's sake, don't you understand? For as long as this man shall live, you and I will never have a quiet life, Eva. He's going to hunt me if I were to leave his ranks and if he finds out your true blood status, he'll have you killed in a matter of seconds,' he added. 'He's poisonous! He's poisoned everything good for my family and me, and now, that family includes you and your mum. She'll have you both hunted and killed! He enjoys his stupid games!' Regulus told Evangeline. 'Don't you see that I'm trying my fucking best to not bring you into this whole mess? Do you have any idea how many times he's asked to meet you and I gave him foolish excuses as to why you couldn't meet him? Do you have any fucking idea how many times he's threatened to kill you if I don't obey his wishes?' Regulus was yelling at this point. 'No, you don't because I kept you safe from all of this!' his voice was filled with anger.

Evangeline was scared. She had never seen this side of Regulus before and she didn't know what to expect from him.

Regulus stormed off into their bedroom, slamming the door behind him, which made Evangeline startle. She walked to the couch, sat down and broke down into crying. She kept on crying, crying herself to sleep.

When Adalyn came home, a few hours later, she was surprised to find Evangeline sleeping on the couch instead of her bed. She covered Evangeline with a blanket and caressed her daughter's hair, kissing Evangeline's forehead before heading back to her bedroom.

When Regulus woke up to an empty bed, he knew that he probably scared Evangeline to the core. He scared himself, too. He had never been that angry ever before. And he had to admit that it was a side of him that he got from his father.

After freshening up, he left the bedroom and walked to the kitchen. He found Adalyn there, preparing breakfast, but Evangeline was asleep on the couch near the window.

'Good morning,' he whispered, greeting Adalyn.

'Morning,' the woman whispered back.

Regulus walked up to the couch and crouched down. He caressed Evangeline's cheek, smiling sadly.