What It Means To Hope (Part 1)

"Hey... Hanagaki-kun... What do you think of marriage?" Hinata suddenly asks as Takemichi then almost chokes at the burger that he was chewing.

"What brought that up all of a sudden?" He asked nervously, dumbfounded at the sudden question.

"Nothing really... I was just watching some movies earlier and I happened to remember a scene of it now."

"I see..."

"So? What is marriage to you, Hanagaki-kun."

"Isn't it just something adults do when they are at the right age...? Since, everyone does it... Everyone gets married. That's all to it."

"That is a bit sad... But I hope one day, what you think of it will change..."

----

Takemichi happened to remember a vague memory from 15 years ago, to the time where he was with Tachibana Hinata.

Now he was here, at the province with Mikey celebrating the marriage of one of their neighbors.

Clapping and cheering, happy sounds played, the speeches and the pitch of hitting the glasses of alcohol and other sorts of beverages. The marriages in the countryside seems different, from the traditions, prayers and to the clothing.

Western style is more popular in the city after all.

But in the end... All marriages are the same.

It is a happy occasion... And now, Takemichi wonders, what does marriage now mean to him...?

A social rite... Or something else perhaps.

But he waved off that idea as he partake at one of the joyous events. Gulp the rice wine to his throat and wash the bugging questions down.

It had been three years since they 'died' and have lived happily at that place.

The farmers who accepts them and kind neighbors. It was difficult but the country does have its charms.

The serene view at every morning, the clear lakes and rivers, fresh fishes and crops from their labor. The skies in the countryside have stars in it, the rains are clean and the air feels freeing.

He could breathe at that place. Wash the pain of the past. Enjoy the warmth with Mikey.

And now on the third year of their new life, he gets to experience the wedding in that place. The dances, melodies and all, one elderly even joking the two of them as they held hands, "Ohoh! Mikey and Takemitchy I wonder... When we'll get to be the audience of your wedding?"

"Well that's..." Takemichi hesitates as his stomach churn, out of all the questions... Why is it that one?

Mikey notices his discomfort as the said male smile, "Grandma, we'll let you know... Just when the right time comes."

The elderly woman then accepts that answer with a cute pout as she then bother the next couple, Mikey sighs in relief as he softly squeezes Takemichi's hands, "Don't worry about that... She's just curious."

"I know... Marriage... Mikey, what do you think of marriage?" Takemichi then asks curiously as Mikey seems to ponder at the question.

"I don't know a lot about love... I mean, you're my first love after all... Other than that, everything is new to me... I am willing to learn all about it with you... But, marriage... I do know its a big step in our lives... I won't rush you."

Mikey softly pats Takemichi's hair as the said male had a soft smile, marriage...

Is marriage truly such a big deal he wondered...?

His parents just married out of convenience after all, and had him. Married for what society asks them to. Mikey on the other hand, never got to know his father nor mother.

So marriage truly is a mystery to the two of them.

An unexplored path right before them.

The next day, Takemichi was still slightly bothered as he help the old ladies weave the straw hats at midst of the bright clear day under the roof of the temple.

"Grandmas... I was wondering... What is marriage to you guys?" He asked shyly as the old ladies giggle at him.

"Hrmmm... Well... I can still remember it clearly... It was such a happy thing after all... For me, it was like stepping into a whole new world together with my husband." One of the elderly women answered with a smile on her face that Takemichi was not familiar to.

"For me, its such a joyous occasion too... The sky seems clearer, the winds were more freeing and the sun seemed brighter on that day... The day I felt so happy with him... I will never forget it." One of the old ladies answered too.

They soon shared their happy experiences... Takemichi soon learned.

Marriage is a happy occassion.

"What about you... Takemichi-kun... What is marriage to you?"

"Well... Thats... I am not sure yet." He scratched his cheeks nervously.

They patted his back in comfort as they smile warmly to him, "You're still young, life is long... So you can take your time knowing it... Just cherish moment now."

Takemichi nods as he smie. They then talked about various things and finish up by noon. As they walked back to their homes... Takemichi happens to bump ways to Mikey, the two of them then walked home together.

Planning dinner and such, things they experienced on that day.

Takemichi had his first answer.

Marriage is a happy occassion... But I don't have to hurry... Just cherish each precious moments..

I don't know what it is yet but... Mikey... If it is with you then... Marriage for me is...