What It Means To Hope (Part 3)

If there is a lot of unknown futures stored for us.

I am glad that I get to spend this lifetime with you.

Even if, even if the world were to end...

I am glad that I could be with you.

---

It is a clear sunny day. The windchimes ringing softly at every passing of the blowing winds, the sound of the cycle rolling as it bumps to some rocks.

The passing skies and the view melting into a blur.

Such is that day.

Takemichi finally decided... He'll propose to Mikey on that day.

Just the mere thought sends butterflies over his stomach. He couldn't help but smile and almost tear up.

For he had found his answer.

Marriage... Marriage is a big step that they both must take.

For what they have now is the cherished moments, marriage for him marks the start of a journey towards into a future they both have not known.

To love one another in sickness and health. To be together til death does them apart.

Just like that Takemichi found his answer.

Marriage is the exchange of love to one another. In a deeper level to what they have now.

To know that you are both ready, to dwelve into an abyss that is left as an enigma.

Takemichi got it all planned. From the picnic spot, the big suprise, the words from the bottom of his heart, the food and all.

It gives him butterflies, he is both nervous and excited.

He and Mikey is riding a bicycle to the groove near the rice fields, with him in the lead and Mikey on his back sleeping softly.

It seems that Mikey is doing some part time job at one of the smiths in their village, Mikey got a pair of strong arms that helps the old mans over there after all.

Thus, the said boy was always sleepy and Takemichi wanted to give Mikey a pleasant suprise.

The two of them got off the cycle threading carefully past the looming tall trees, making sure not to step on anything harmful and after a while they reached the heart of the forest.

A pristine white lake lies in the middle, sunlight reflected at the clear waters, the sounds of birds singing and wings flapping and the mere sight took away their breathes as they both removed their clothes for a light swim.

Splashing water and laughing, eating the packed sandwiches, reading and talking, and even dipping their feets at the clear lake as they watched the sun set.

Takemichi took deep breathes as he and Mikey held hands, everything was going well but... He is still nervous.

But as he glance over Mikey, what took over that nervousness was a completely different desire...

He wanted to tell Mikey just how much... How much far he would love the said man.

So with that Takemichi stood up excusing himself as he took a dried branch near them.

"What are you doing with that?" Mikey asks out of curiosity as Takemichi sat next to him again.

A knowing grin with a teasing hum, "Just watch."

Mikey pouts as he follow. He gasp in wonder as fireflies soon gather at the dried branch. Green luminescence reflected on the clear waters as they danced with the sparkling stars.

Cerulean meeting obsidian, with eyes held together with an unsaid understanding and wonder.

The fireflies spreads surrounding them both as they giggle, the small bulbs of the forest and the moonlight basking them.

Takemichi opens his mouth, with a voice of firm resolve he asks, "Will you marry me?"

Mikey's eyes widens as Takemichi then places the branch on a stone near them, "I heard that at this time of the year, fireflies do gather like this... They don't have much time to live but when they become old they use half of their lives to meet their match."

"Mikey... On the day we first met, I wanted to die... But you gave me hope... You made me realize how life might not be that bad after all, I don't have a lot and I am not as strong as you but I... I really really love you... You are the one I have been looking for my entire life... If I have not much long and knowing that our life is short, I want to tell it to you now... "

"I want to be with you for as long as I can... Because I don't know what the future holds and I don't want to be afraid of it... I want to be with you, I want to tell you all this, as I cherish my present with you... So please, will you accept my proposal?"

Takemichi held Mikey's hand as he couldn't keep his tears for long, he felt overwhelmed and all the words was said... He let out everything in his heart.

"Ah! I forgot one vital thing! The rings... Can you wait for that?"

"There's no need to wait." Mikey laughs slowly as he get something from his pocket.

A blue colored box with two silver rings inside... The green lights of the fireflies reflected around them as he smile.

Mikey places the ring at Takemichi's ring finger, "I'll marry you... So please marry me too... You took what I wanted to say after all."

"I've been working there at the shop and they said I might have an innate talent to cut stones... I have cut a lot of people before but... Instead of a bad reason like that, I poured all my feelings to these rings..."

"You made these...?"

Takemichi glanced closer to his ring and he could notice how polished it was, a bit of rough cutted lines but he could tell... How much patience, effort and worth Mikey gave to those rings.

He thought Mikey would be the only one suprised but he never expected to be surprised too...

One thing about growing is that only few things can give you the sense of wonder.

But ever since he met Mikey... Life had been filled with pleasant suprises.

Just like how they first met... Up to that very moment...

Life is filled with pleasant suprises that gives him hope...

The hope to heal... The hope to expect... The hope to love...

Love is what it means to have hope..
To love is to hope... To hope is to live...

"Takemichi... I love you..." Mikey hugs Takemichi as Takemichi does the same back.

"I love you too... Manjirou..." Takemichi cries softly as Manjirou does cry a bit too, the fireflies never leaving them as they stood in place.

They talked about a lot of things on that night... Hands locked together as they cherish a tender moment between the two of them.

The fireflies soon all left and the stars will soon disappear.... Takemichi softly closes his eyes as he thought.

I wonder what pleasant suprises tomorrow will bring.

-Fin.