13: Saying goodbye

Summary: Bella and Edward are engaged in 1918 when the Spanish Influenza hits Chicago. When Edward 'dies' Bella is alone with her grief, making her cold and cruel to everyone around her.

87 years later when now vampire Bella arrives in Forks Washington, she meets the Cullens and a familiar bronze haired vampire who looks like her Edward but it couldn't be, could it? With a little help from the Cullens, will Bella get her forever with her Edward? Will Edward melt the ice around her heart?

BELLA

Chicago is my home, it's Edward's home, it is our home.

Even though it's a bit fuzzy, I remember Edward taking me on a midnight picnic and swimming in the lake when we were 16. The rain started as we ran home, Edward grabbing my face and kissing me  senseless in the rain.

"Bella, Bella, love." Edward's voice brings me out of my memories. I kiss him. "Thank you for agreeing to this." I say to him softly. It took quite a bit of convincing to let me come here. He was certain that my reason to be here was because Alice was making me feel guilty about not coming back here in 87 years, which was half of the reason I wanted to come here but the other reason was because Edward was alive. The rest of the Cullens are with us in case something happens.

"I'd agree to do anything for you if it means your happiness." I kiss his cheek. "Where are we going first?" I ask him seeing as he's had more practice with this than I have. "I usually go to the cemetery first then to our  lake and meadow then our houses and then our wedding venue and then back to the cemetery then I go back home again." I sigh sadly before burying my head in his chest. "I never thought I'd ever had to do this, Edward." Edward sighs and rubs my back, muttering "damn you, Alice. 'No one is hardly talking to Alice. "You don't have to go this right now, Bella, just say the words and we'll be back on the first flight home to Forks, just say the words." I shake my head. I have to do this, I can't keep putting this off, I don't want to be a coward.
"The others are going to meet us at the cemetery." Edward says as we walk to the cemetery through the woods.

The Cullens wait for us by the gates, all sending me encouragement. The last time I was here, I was 'burying' Edward and saying goodbye to my parents and Edward and Elizabeth. I close my eyes before breathing and opening my eyes. "I'm ready, let's go." Edward leads us into the cemetery. I whimper and stop. Edward turns to me, cupping my face in both of his hands. "Hey, we can do this at your pace, you're in control here, love." I nod before following Edward to the Swan plot of the cemetery. I see a familiar headstone.

Charles and Renèe Swan.

I drop to my knees and stroke each name.  "Father, Mother, I'm so sorry that it took me so long to visit you. I just want you to know that Edward and I are vampires now, we're in love even more so than we were human. I love you both so so much, I don't know when I'll be back but I promise I will be, I love you both so much." Edward helps me to my feet and we walk to the Masen plot.

Edward Senior and Elizabeth Masen.

Venom tears well up in my eyes as I read their names and I drop to my knees and tell them everything that has happened to me since their deaths.

"Elizabeth, I miss you so much it hurts me not to see you anymore. You were my mother in so many ways that Renèe never was. Thank you for letting your son love me. I love you and Edward Senior so much, I'll see you soon." Edward wraps me in his arms and we sob for the loss of our family together. It's a few minutes before we stop crying into each other. Thankfully the Cullens have stayed away from us, giving us our space. We help each other to our feet and walk back to the Cullens, Edward's arm around my shoulder and waist. "How you doing, Darlin'?" Jasper asks in his southern accent. I scowl. "How do you think I'm doing?" I snap at him. Edward doesn't do anything except rub my shoulder. I look at Alice. "Where are we going next, oh miss know it all?" I ask sarcastically. Jasper gives me a low warning growl. I growl back. "Bella, enough." Carlisle scolds me lightly. I turn to him. "Enough of what, Carlisle? Alice is the main reason I'm even here saying goodbye, I'm pissed enough as it is and you really don't want to add to that, so far the next few days please don't talk to me unless you're offering comfort." I snap at him before turning to Edward. "Meadow or lake first?" Edward smirks.

"Lake!"