14. The lake

Summary: Bella and Edward are engaged in 1918 when the Spanish Influenza hits Chicago. When Edward 'dies' Bella is alone with her grief, making her cold and cruel to everyone around her.

87 years later when now vampire Bella arrives in Forks Washington, she meets the Cullens and a familiar bronze haired vampire who looks like her Edward but it couldn't be, could it? With a little help from the Cullens, will Bella get her forever with her Edward? Will Edward melt the ice around her heart?

EDWARD

The lake looks like it always has, even after 87 years of abonnement: shimmering like crystals are embedded into the water. I remember taking Bella on a midnight picnic here when we were fifteen.

Water hits me in the face as I see the love of my life near the water with her feet in it. She looks so calm when near the water, she always has and it hasn't changed once she became a vampire. I see Bella looking at me with a small smirk on her face, a smirk I return. I zip to her side and scoop her up into my arms and throw her gently into the lake, loving the high pitched scream she lets out as her body gets wet. "EDWARD!" She screams, laughing. I laugh with her as I offer her a hand to help her up but find myself getting pulled into the water besides her. "Bella, you got me all wet!" I whine like a child. Bellas giggles fill my ears as she splashes me with the lake water. It's not long before there's a splash war going on.

"What are you doing splashing each other like children, you're meant to be saying goodbye to the lake, not playing in it." Alice scolds. The play fight stops as we see my family watching us with smiles on their faces, except Alice who frowns at us. Bella hisses at her as Jasper groans at his wife. "Alice, Bella told you not to talk to her unless its to offer her comfort and right now you are not offering her comfort, you're making her feel embarrassed." He scolds his wife, Alice rolls her eyes.

She should feel embarrassed, I wouldn't be caught like that as a human. Her thoughts say. Alice opens her mouth. "Alice, dont!" I warn sharply. Alice doesn't listen to me as she starts speaking to Bella.

"Your parents would be ashamed that you were sneaking around with the lawyer's boy at only 15 and that you counted for a year and a half before telling them, if you told them straight away, your mother wouldn't have thrown all those men at you. Elizabeth wouldn't like you leading her son astray like some h-" Alice doesn't finish her speech before Bella launches herself at her and starts slapping her repeatedly. Jasper and I immediately pull the girls away from each other, Bella is like a wild cat thrashing in my arms. I can't get her to settle down. "You're lucky all I did was slap her pixie face, Major, be thankful she didn't end up like Edward when I attacked and the only reason I didn't rip her apart is because you're Peter and Char's brother and the most feared vampire in the south, so thank yourself for being the Major because next time she might not be quite so lucky." Bella snarls to Jasper who has let Alice go and is getting a talking to from Carlise and Esme. Jasper nods. "I appreciate the restraint and warning, Darlin', Petey and Char would be proud of the restraint you showed." Bella gives him a curt nod and turns to me. "You were right: I wasn't ready to come back here." I let her go and look into her eyes which are full of sadness."Let's go home, Edward. It's clear that this is no longer our home." She leaves the lake without a word nor a glance to anyone.

I growl at Alice. "You practically guilt tripped her into coming here  when we all knew she wasn't ready and I'll never forgive you for guilt tripping her into something you  made her think she had to do." I snarl before following my Bella.

I knew that Bella wasn't ready to come here on her own accord, it was because of what Alice said to her. The pixie manipulated her into coming when she was nowhere near ready to do so.