Chapter Seven

Word Count: 2845

Marinette

"Okay." His voice is barely a whisper. Just when I thought Adrien would push me away for good now, he presses me closer against him. "Thank you for telling me."

I don't dare speaking. He is mad at me. Why wouldn't he be? But I know Adrien is holding his anger back to show me that I can speak to him about everything.

It's not that I didn't know that before. Adrien would always prefer talking over losing me. And I feel awful for what I've done...but at the same time I don't.

It was my choice to get that abortion. I'm not sure he should be mad at me for it. He was the one telling me it's okay. He said it's always my choice, because it's my body.

And then I do what I want with my body, and he's mad at me for it.

"Adrien," I say quietly. "You can get through with the divorce." As much as it hurts me, maybe it's for the best. I can't keep Adrien close to me when that's not what he wants.

He groans and gently slides me off his lap, sitting me down onto the couch. He stands, and without a word, walks out of the living room. Not sure where he's going, or if he wants me to follow him, so I follow him anyway.

This conversation isn't over yet.

"Would you speak to me?" I demand, following him right into his closet room. He's getting changed, but I'm not sure why. "Adrien?"

"I spent good thirty minutes explaining to you how I'd want a divorce when you wouldn't stop closing me off. Then when I think you're finally opening up, you push me away again." The frustration in his voice doesn't go lost on me.

"I thought that maybe-"

"Maybe what" he snaps, chuckling. "That I'd neglect my wife because she got an abortion without at least letting me know? And then proceeded to keep it a secret for what? 10 months?"

"You're mad.."

"God, woman. Of course I'm mad!" His voice is harsh. "I'm so fucking mad, I can't even stand being here right now."

He walks over to a blank wall, hitting his fist against it. I flinch as his fist slams into the wall, over and over again.

"You said it's my choice." My throat clogs up. "You said if I changed my mind and-"

"IT IS YOUR CHOICE!" He yells. "IT IS YOUR GODDAMN BODY!" He inhales shakily. "I wouldn't ever tell you to carry my child against your will. But you could have at least informed me about it earlier than ten goddamn months later."

"I'm sorry," I say, my voice not more than a thin exhale of hot air.

"So am I," he says but I'm not sure why.

Watching as he pulls a sweater over his shirt, I'm soon left to be on my own. Adrien storms out of the bedroom but before he could leave the apartment, which I know is what he wants to do, I go after him.

"Please don't go." His hand is already gripping the door handle as I speak. "You wanted to talk...let's talk."

"We will," he says without even looking at me, "but that's not going to be now. I need to gather my thoughts and sort through the tons of questions I have for you."

Then his eyes land on mine, cold and yet still with a warmth that tells me he's not running away from me. "You will answer every single one of them, Marinette." It's not a question, and I know if I wouldn't he'd leave me for good.