Chapter Eight

Word Count: 2832

Adrien

Marinette's eyes widen as she looks at me with horror. Or shock? Is it the same kind of expression? Either way, she doesn't seem too pleased.

When she doesn't answer and looks away again, I walk over to her. I lay my hands on her jawline, forcing Marinette to look at me.

"I'm no expert when it comes to the female body, but Marinette, when did you lie?" I ask. Her eyebrows draw together in confusion. "When I asked if you were pregnant on our wedding day, you said no. I highly doubt you've gotten pregnant from sex just yesterday. Well, and if you did, I doubt that any test could tell it already."

She sighs. So we're getting there.

"Which means, you either lied to me about being pregnant, or you didn't know, which means you lied about taking the test in the first place. But you do know now and still refuse to tell me."

"I'm not pregnant, Adrien," she says a little too fast. And I don't buy that anymore.

"Humor me," I say. I take a seat next to Marinette (again) but this time I pull her onto my lap. With her legs on either side of my body and my hands wrapped around her waist, there is no chance for her to run away. Maybe I should've sat on her instead, but that seemed a bit violent. I want her alive.

"You took the test, and it was positive." She sighs, closing her eyes. I bet she knows where this is going. "You walked up to me, and I asked if you were pregnant. You lied and said no. I believed you. It was our wedding day, so you knew we'd drink a bit, or you hoped we would. You knew if I knew you were pregnant, I would've never let you drink wine or anything else."

I give her a second to let my words sink in. "So you lied. And why? Because you were hoping to get drunk and risk another miscarriage. Because a miscarriage is easier to come clean with than yet another abortion."

Marinette shakes her head, tears still running down her cheeks.

"Alright. So you weren't planning on risking a miscarriage," I say, "so you didn't tell me because you knew you'd get another abortion. One you would keep from me, again."

When she doesn't answer, I continue. It's not like I'm excepting answers at this point. "And the reason why you stayed downstairs in your boutique all day, when you promised you'd be here today, is because you were afraid I'd find out before you went through with the abortion."

Her eyes close, exhaling deeply. She tries to get off of me, but I'm honestly not having it. So instead of loosening my grip, I push Marinette closer to me.

"I'm not preg-"

"Say you're not pregnant one more time, I dare you."

"Adrien..."

"Tell me the fucking truth, Marinette," I demand. "I'll drive you to the hospital, right fucking now. I'll hold your goddamn hand while these doctors do whatever to abort our child. But stop lying to me. It's all I want. Honesty. Stop dishing me bullshit and grow up."

Her forehead leans against mine as she wraps her arms around my neck. She sobs heavier than before, which startles me for a moment. Not long enough though.

Next thing I know, my arms I wrap around her and I'm pulling her closer for a hug.

"How long have you known?" I find myself asking. Though I'm talking a lot quieter than before, a lot calmer and softer.

There's no denying that Marinette's pregnant. And suddenly Jolie is back in my head. How the hell did she know? I doubt Marinette told her anything.