Prompt 4: The Warehouse

"You know Rory, every night on Halloween someone from our town goes missing?"

Rory looked up from her book at one of her friends. Wren sat in front of her on the couch kneeling in front of her.

"People go missing every year." Rory retorted.

"She's not wrong Rory. We live in a small town and every Halloween someone here goes missing. And the case goes cold within a few weeks. Not a singular person has been found. They just disappear." Derreck her friend told her.

For Halloween Rory and her friend group decided to have a little stay-in together, buy a shit ton of candy and just have a fun night.

They were at Avery's house, Derreck's boyfriend.

And now Wren would begin with her crazy theories and Derreck would encourage them while Avery smiled.

If there is one thing Wren likes, its gossip.

Rory knew things were just getting started for the night.

"Am I wrong being curious that people in our rundown hill Billy of a town go missing on Halloween every year?" Wren asked.

"Nope, I'm not even from here and I find that concerning. If people went missing like that in my town all on the same night, eventually a case would be opened. No one even talks about it here." Avery spoke as he leaned into Derreck.

"See even Avery sees it, Rory." Wren piped in with a grin.

"You're not going to stop so indulge me Wren, why do you think people are going missing?" Rory asked.

Wren grinned. "Oh, Rory I have a ton of ideas, but my biggest one is that people in this town know what's happening. Especially politicians and that in the area. They have to be in on it. Even the police as they throw out the cases. The only issue is finding out what's causing it." Wren grinned.

Wren had a passion for justice and law, a passion that resulted in her career choice. Wren was taking classes for justice and was caught between pursuing the career as a lawyer or an FBI agent. She wanted to stay away from the police career specifically and had begun to lean towards lawyer. They make good money which is a plus for Wren.

"The mayor owns this warehouse out in the countryside of town. It's practically abandoned. No one is ever there, and it looks empty. Might be of interest." 

Rory wanted to smack Derreck for that comment. Of all the things he'd say it'd be that. Something to egg on Derreck.

"Mm, how do you all feel about going exploring that warehouse. The mayor is out on vacation so it's unlikely we'll be caught."

"I'm down, could use a little spice for Halloween besides some roleplay." Avery added with a grin.

"You know it's funny that you guys consider yourself horror fans and have this planned. Did you miss that this is just a prime chance for whatever is kidnapping people to get some fresh idiotic victims heading towards a place with barely anyone there?" Rory asked.

She hated indulging any of them on this, but it was stupid.

Going to some abandoned warehouse on Halloween especially after talking about how people from town go missing on Halloween every night. Yet here they are with those plans.

"Are you saying you're afraid to go check an abandoned warehouse?" Derreck had always been good at pressing buttons. He knew how to rile people up especially when he's friends with them.

"Is it afraid or being cautious? In case you forget you, guys are the ones who mentioned that people go missing every year in our town at this time and came up with the brilliant idea to go explore an abandoned warehouse. You know somewhere a crazy killer could be hiding." Rory did her best to remain calm despite wanting to slap all three.