Chapter 1☝️

Kaavia

"Thank you so much doc" I say as I gently squeeze the hands of my sister.

" You are welcome anytime, she is really a fighter you know"

Doctor Nancy say, chuckling lightly

" I know" 

 I gave a sad smile as I turned to my sleeping sister, she is a fighter, infact we are fighters and has been fighting for years now.

After loosing both our parents, we knew it wasn't the end for us and we had to fight our way through this harsh world, but what kept us going was the fact that we were together, and I am not planning on loosing her, not now not ever.

" But Kaavia , we really need to perform the surgery and fast, her heart is giving up day by day and we can't risk it" 

" I Know doc "

Of course I knew, I wake up to that fact every morning and that pushes me.

Doc Nancy smiles and gives me a light squeeze on the shoulder before exiting the room.

She has been helping Starr and I since we found out about her heart failure and I will forever be grateful but there is a limit to what she can do, after all she works her and does not own it.

There was a slight knock on the door and it opens revealing my best friend, cherry.

" Hey, how is she holding up?" She says as she grabs the available chair and seats close to me, handing me a brown paper bag.

"Starr is a strong girl but the doctor says her heart is failing day by day" I tell her, opening the brown paper bag, I smile at her.

Typical Cherry Blossom, food is something she doesn't joke with, exactly what drew me to her back then in high school.

I can't still understand how a white slim bodied girl eats that much and still refuses to double in size.

Cherry Blossom my Best friend, actually my only friend. Cherry has literally been my saving grace, we always had our backs, I would fight away bullies for her, help her do assignments and teach her how to be a "black bitch". Even as a white girl named after a fruit, cherry always wanted to be like a black woman or black bitch as she likes to put it, she was obsessed with the black life; how they talk, what they wear, the slangs even how they think, infact she wants to be a Black right activist.

Bottom line is, cherry and her family has always been there for Starr and I ever since the tragedy.

I bring out the burger from the paper bag and the realization of how hungry I was hit me like I was hit by a truck.

" You didn't have to you know"

"If I didn't I am sure you would not have had anything to eat"

I munched my way into the burger, savouring every bite

"So what's the plan now? How do we plan on getting the money, because it's definitely not going to come by it self or something" Cherry says as she dips her hand into the bag to grab fries.

I smiled at the fact that she said " we" at least I knew I was not alone and that made me feel relieved.

" I don't know, prolly get a third job or something"

" Nope...nah ...never Vee, that is like a death sentence, do you want to get your self killed or something? Working as the PA to that indecisive rich woman is enough to get you killed and you are talking about getting a third job?"

I turn to her bursting into laughter

" Ok first of… indecisive rich woman? Really cherry?and I am not her PA, I am her messanger"

There was a big difference there, an high school drop out does not qualify to be the PA to one of New York most recognized Fashion designer.

After my parents died, I had to drop out in my final year of school just to make ends meet, I didn't want Starr out of school so I had to work my ass off, at age 18 I was shuffling 4 jobs so there was really no time to get schooled online. Five years down the line and I can't get a well paying stable job, so I worked in Cafes, restaurants, Wal Marts, until I got the messanger job with the fashion designer and at night I work in a restaurant.

" She really is not that bad cherry"

"Oh really now?  Who comes back home complaining to me how the woman makes her life a living hell because of her indecisive character?"

Cherry had a point there, my boss wasn't so bad but could be very indecisive and she is always hell bent on getting what she wants, she would go to any length to do that, and it can be very annoying and overbearing on me that always have to get the work done.

" I see your point there missy"

Now finished with the burger, I dust my mouth with the back of my hands and go to seat close to my sister

" But truth be told Cherry, no matter how many jobs I get I don't think I would be able to raise that much money, doctor Nancy says she could only stay as long as 6 months if we don't do this surgery. I will really need a break through, Starr deserves a better life"

I deserve a better life…