09. The Duel

The white sun shone overhead in a dull, cheerless way that reflected the state of Wat's mind.

A crowd of spectators had formed a perimeter around a brown, roughly circular patch of ground in an area half a mile from the Faateh camp. It was devoid of grass, though littered lightly with leaves and debris from the surrounding trees.

It was perfect for a sword fight as it was flat and there were no obstructions.

A white boundary was drawn around it and the soldiers were asked to stay behind it.

At one end stood Mil in a light armour, carrying the Widow Maker and a shield. He looked uncomfortably about him, especially as he heard the whispers of the soldiers around him.

At the opposite end of the circle, Tine stretched his legs and arms, not bothering with an armour.

"An armour won't help if he swings at me with force. It will only slow me down" explained Tine patiently as Wat argued with him.

"Is this punishment for my sins, Tine? I'm willing to apologize to you for all my wrongs if that's what you want. I'm sorry, my Prince" pleaded Wat.

"You can stand in line behind Mil as far as making apologies go" chuckled Tine and patted Wat's shoulder as he wrapped his hands in cloth for a good grip.

Mil couldn't make out the kind of sword Tine planned on using. He didn't particularly care either. All swords were like sticks to him.

Arman held his hand up and the crowd fell silent. He looked at a sundial and at precisely noon, he lowered his hand to start the duel.

Mil and Tine circled each other cautiously around the edge of the arena. Tine reached a hand behind him and pulled out a long, thin sword that was strapped to his back.

Tine twirled it expertly in his right hand. Mil chuckled.

"Are you sure you want to fight me with that needle, Your Highness? Perhaps I should tie one hand behind my back" he laughed.

He kept a lazy, taunting smile on his face as they circled closer to each other.

The smile was wiped off his face as Tine leaped lightly forward and nicked Mil's cheek with the very tip of his blade.

Mil hadn't expected Tine's speed at all. He snarled and charged at Tine.

Tine met him at the very centre of the arena, and deflected Mil's blade using its own momentum.

Quick as a flash, he twirled around behind Mil, pulled out a second sword strapped to his back and slapped Mil across the back of his neck with the flat part of his blade.

Mil was momentarily stunned by the double wield. The two handed sword attack was not new to Mil, but Tine's technique was.

Tine's footwork was sublime. He never stayed in one place for more than a fraction of a second, his feet barely touching the ground.

He flew in a tight circle around Mil, attacking with both swords together at an almost unnatural speed.

Mil was forced to hold his ground and couldn't move. He dug in his feet, tucked in his arms and used his shield to deflect Tine's barrage of parries.

He thrust and swiped his sword at Tine once or twice, but the prince was too quick for him. He was nicked many more times by one sword or the other.

Tine's thin rapiers were light and flexible and stung wherever they made contact with Mil's body.

Mil bade his time for Tine to tire, keeping his shield up and waiting for the right moment to attack. Tine wouldn't be able to sustain this speed and momentum indefinitely.