13. Honeymoon 🔞

Tine stood at a window that looked out over the broad river below and the Solene Tower on the opposite bank.

"Where do we go from here, my darling?" he asked, sighing with contentment as Wat slipped his arms around him from behind.

Ships had started to make their way through the locks. The shouts of the sailors were carried up to them in the wind.

"Wherever you command, my love" said Wat, burying his face in the crook of Tine's neck and breathing in deeply.

Tine laughed happily and Wat felt an inexplicable peace descend upon him.

They had chosen to stay in a room at the top of the tallest turret on the battlements of the Selene Tower. It was quieter than Solene, where a whirlwind of activity was on.

Wat had decided to leave Mil in charge of winding up the affairs at Antiope and all along the north. Unlike Phaedra, there was much to be done here.

With the capture of Antiope, there was only one last fiefdom left to be conquered for all the major kingdoms of Kindraire to become part of the Faateha'a nation.

It was a lagoon port in the Northwest, an important one in the backwaters between the Western Sea and the inland river systems.

It was where the massive seafaring merchant ships could stand in deep waters as they loaded their cargo to and from smaller river vessels.

"Is it absolutely necessary to leave for Dernir right away, Field Marshal Zohrawat, supreme leader of the Faateh Army?" asked Tine, leaning back into his husband as he closed his eyes.

"Hmmm, not really" hummed Wat, nuzzling along Tine's jawline.

Tine turned his face and caught Wat's lips in a kiss. They forgot about everything else for a bit.

"Then let's just stay here for a week, Wat. You could use some rest" said Tine, reaching his hand back to touch Wat's cheek with his fingertips.

Wat was struck with a sudden thought and it made him feel utterly miserable.

"I'm so sorry, my Prince. I realize only now that this is the first time you've had a proper bed to sleep in since our wedding over a month ago.

You've slept with nothing more than a canvas covered mattress between you and the hard, frozen ground.

You must have suffered, having left the comforts of your palace to accompany me on the warpath.

You've never led the life of a soldier before. Yet, you've never complained, my love, not once.

All this time, I've been consumed with the war, never sparing a thought for your comfort. I never asked you if you needed anything.

I'm an inconsiderate fool who doesn't deserve you, my Prince" said Wat, ridden with guilt and anguish. He felt embarrassed and hid his face behind Tine.

Tine was surprised and touched by Wat's distress. He entwined his fingers with Wat's at his waist and brought them to his lips for a quick kiss.

"I could never find a place warmer or more comfortable than in between your arms, my darling.

I may not be a warrior, but I'm not some delicate prince who needs goose feather pillows to sleep.

I once spent two weeks in a hunting hide in the middle of a Phaedran winter blizzard, with nothing but the fabric of my tent between me and the elements. Trust me when I tell you that sleeping on dry bedding beside you is all the comfort I need.

Stop being silly and let me see your face" he said gently.

Very reluctantly and after much coaxing, Wat loosened his arms enough for Tine to turn around in them.