14. Broken Sails

A raven alighted on the windowsill and flitted away a moment later.

"Uncle Dim is on his way to Antiope" shouted Tine excitedly, waving the message scroll.

Wat looked up from his breakfast. Tine and he were to leave Antiope for Dernir later that morning.

"That's unexpected. When will he arrive?" asked Wat, smiling at how happy his husband was.

"In about three days. He's taking a boat upriver from Tandra" said Tine, eyes shining.

"Do you want to stay on in Antiope to meet him?" asked Wat.

"Could we?" said Tine, delighted.

"Of course you can, my love. I know you miss him.

Unfortunately, I can't delay my departure any longer. Arman and Bosavar reached Dernir yesterday. They're already preparing to lay siege. I'm needed there" said Wat, a cold ball rolling in the pit of his stomach at the prospect of leaving without Tine.

Tine nodded. "In that case, I'll send a raven to Uncle Dim that we'll see him another time, perhaps on our way back from Dernir, if he's still in Antiope then."

Wat looked fondly at Tine, who smiled sweetly at him.

"I love you, Tine. But you don't have to tie yourself to me" said Wat gently.

"I know, my darling. This is purely for me. I can't sleep without you anymore, and you know how important it is to get a good night's rest" said Tine, eyes twinkling mirthfully.

Wat tipped Tine's chin playfully with his forefinger and shook his head. "Hundreds of battles fought and won, and yet you'll be the death of me, my love."

Tine blushed beautifully and tucked the corner of his lip between his teeth. He glanced at Wat from between his long, dark lashes and Wat's heart skipped a beat.

"Keep looking at me like that, and I'll kiss you till you drop" said Wat in a low, husky voice.

"Promises, promises" taunted Tine, coy and seductive at the same time.

Before Wat could pounce on him, a knock sounded on the door.

Wat growled impatiently as Tine chuckled and opened the door to their room.

"Prince Finn, what a pleasure. Please come in" said Tine, surprised to see the young boy who stood at their doorstep.

Finn bowed awkwardly.

"Queen Aarica seeks an audience with you before your departure, Your Highness" he said.

"It would be my honour entirely, Prince Finn. Would you like to join us for breakfast?" said Tine, smiling at the nervous boy.

Finn's eyes flitted behind Tine to where Wat sat, pouring coffee in a cup. He gulped.

"Thank you, Your Highness. I would like that" he said.

Finn tilted his head at Wat and Wat nodded back.

Tine set him up with a plate and poured a cup of tea for the young Prince.

Finn took the tiniest bite of bread and sipped his tea out of courtesy. An awkward silence filled the room.

Wat looked out of the window, drumming his fingers on the table. His mind was already on the war in Dernir and as always, he felt uncomfortable in the presence of royalty in social settings.

Tine was about to address Finn, when he saw Finn staring at Wat.

He stayed silent and sipped the coffee Wat had poured for him. He could see Finn was working up the courage to speak.