Love Sick

"Xiao? What are you doing here?"

Should he tell the truth? He honestly didn't expect to run into anyone here, with how they're usually all gone protecting Liyue, the building was usually empty unless they came back to rest.

Much like his base of operations in the Wangshu Inn, Y/N also had one of her own, which was just a small village with a market. There were people of all ages there, including elderly and children, so naturally of course she gravitated towards there, always having a soft spot for them especially.

The people welcomed her with open arms, beyond happy to have the protection of one of Liyue's better known Adepti, no doubt one of the few remaining ones who actually still enjoyed living among human kind.

Xiao never quite understood it, but she had a love for humans and a much deeper understanding of them than he ever did, but eventually he just saw it as her having a huge heart. She was so compassionate and empathetic, always putting herself last and putting everyone else above herself. A heart made of gold, if you would.

"Sir?"

He hadn't even noticed that he'd forgotten to reply, his mind far too lost in the past, in her.

Fuck.

Can I really tell him the truth? And just embarrass myself like that? He'd surely think I'm just some love-sick puppy, chasing after the one I let get away.

"You're here to check on her, aren't you?"

Whelp, he's smarter than I thought.

A smile played at the man's lips, gazing on at the mighty Conquerer of Demons stood before him, unable to admit that he'd come to spy on his ex-lover.

Xiao's arms crossed as he let out a huff of frustration, unsure what to say now as he cast his gaze out toward the sky, assuming she wasn't even here at the moment anyway.

"You can admit your true feelings, you know? Just because you're both Adepti doesn't mean you two can't love each other."

What was he going on about? Xiao didn't love-

okay. Yes he did. He just knew if he admitted it aloud, that it could never be taken back. What would that mean? Is it so bad to experience such a human and mortal emotion? In all his years, he never had. He believed he wasn't capable of such a thing.

Maybe he was wrong after all.

Or maybe this human was just full of shit.

"You're her advisor, are you not?" Xiao eyed the man skeptically, wondering why such a normal and boring man like him had been tasked to serve as her closest informant of the village, keeping tabs on everything going on around it and updating her as was necessary.

"Indeed, sir. I don't think we've formally met before. Takemura, sir." The human extended his hand to Xiao, a very mortal custom that he also never understood, but decided to be cordial either way, taking the man's hand and giving it a quick shake.

Obviously, Takemura had seen Xiao around when he used to be joined at Y/N's hip, so he felt it pointless to introduce himself again, especially since he'd already spoken his name.

Does that mean she talks about me to them? To the humans? Did she like me that much?

Xiao exhaled deeply, deciding he might as well just admit it anyway considering this human had guessed his intentions either way.

"Is she here?" The Adeptus questioned quietly, almost embarrassed by it.

Takemura's smile widened at this, but it seemed genuine.