Calamity

A gentle breeze blew across the land, almost enough to send a shiver down Aether's spine, but he'd gotten used to its bitter string by now.

Slowly but surely, he and Paimon ascended the stairs of the Wangshu Inn, clearly on a mission. It was rare that the floating being was so quiet, but even she knew how serious this situation had gotten.

They needed to get into the Chasm, and they'd heard that (Y/N) was one of the only few who knew her way around the area. Sure, they could adventure blindly like they usually did, but they'd heard the Chasm was much different compared to most of the places they'd explored before, and there was nothing wrong with recruiting extra help.

Shenhe had given them the tip on where to find her, though they assumed the place was odd, and Shenhe hadn't given many details besides some basic physical attributes.

She'd also said, "You'll know her when you see her." Whatever that meant.

As the two reached the roof, they saw one lone figure, standing all alone, with her back to the pair, her elbows rested on the guard rail as she leaned over it, gazing out at the peaceful night sky.

Usually this was Xiao's territory, so Aether was again, surprised when Shenhe said they could probably find (Y/N) hanging around up here.

That certainly meant that Xiao and (Y/N) knew of each other, right? He was sure they'd had to at least have bumped into each other once.

"Excuse me, miss..." Aether politely spoke, hoping he wouldn't startle the woman as he kept his voice low.

A soft exhale could be heard, and the woman slowly straightened her posture and turned to face the pair without a word.

Arms crossed over her chest similarly to how Xiao always did, and this caused both Aether and Paimon to glance at one another silently, both thinking the same thing.

But odd, how Xiao had never spoken of (Y/N) to them, but according to Shenhe, the other woman was also an Adepti, similarly to Xiao as well.

Then again, he was a man of very few words, so that could also explain it.

"You need something?" The voice was alluring yet soft, almost like a lullaby, her voice flowing out across the breeze like silk, yet there was an ominous aura about the woman that almost certainly reeked of danger.

A dark eyebrow raised, her eyes skeptically flicking back and forth between the boy and his floating companion, waiting for a response.

Her eyes were just as sharp as Xiao's too, although much darker in color.

Obviously the woman wasn't a Yaksha, considering Xiao was the last known surviving one, and the two didn't have any similar physical traits at all, so they definitely weren't related, but they did share a few common mannerisms like the sharp and intense gaze and body language.

A more irritated exhale reached Aether's ears, finally yanking his attention back to the Adeptus before him just in time to see her begin to turn away, looking as if she was going to head in the direction of the inn's rooms.

"Wait, I'm sorry- You just reminded me of someone and I got lost in thought." Aether quickly explained, thankful that the woman again stopped her movements to turn and face them again.

The wind rustled the leaves in the trees nearby, the breeze sending a cold chill across Aether's skin as he shivered a bit, noticing the woman didn't even react to the cold in the slightest.

Although, her eyes did dart to the side, over toward the area of the roof, though she didn't turn her head to investigate further.

Her expression soured a tad at this, though Aether didn't understand why.