Chapter Four

Trigger warning for smoking. Enjoy :)

-

"Why'd you kiss my hand last week?"

The startling and unexpected question interrupted yours and Quackity's peaceful breakfast in his suite a week later. He had been telling you about the feud between him and Wilbur and his next plan in the spat, and the question was just... the first thing that came to mind. If you didn't ask then, you never would have asked.

Quackity looked up at you with a wide eye. "Pardon?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"My hand. When I mentioned your ex-fiance's and offered support, you literally got on a knee and kissed my hand. You said thank you for the wishes, said you were recovering... uh, also said that your focus was on the casino, and then sent me to bed. Why?" you clarified, putting your fork down on your empty plate. Breakfast today was fresh scones and homemade jam that was delivered by someone named Captain Puffy. Quackity told you about it when he woke you up for breakfast, but you weren't awake to see the supposed delivery pirate. You wanted to meet her and thank her after this - the scones were truly delicious. 

Quackity looked at you for a moment before shrugging. "When I was a kid, I was taught that it's polite. A sign of gratitude, if you well," he responded, closing his eyes and taking another sip of his coffee before smirking over his cup. "Funny that you're still thinking about that a week later... really made an impression, huh?"

The forward sentence caught you off guard, and you sputtered on your water, putting the glass down and coughing into your elbow.

Quackity laughed. "I'm kidding. Jesus. Calm down," he grinned at you, putting down his empty cup and standing. As you regained your composure, you watched him adjust his tie and push his chair in. How did he make everything he did attractive?

You had to change the subject before things got weird, before you start blushing harder than humanly possible.

You cleared your throat and wiped your mouth with a napkin before copying the motion, pushing your chair into the table. "What's the plan for today?"

He stacked his empty plate onto yours and put his empty cup besides yours as well, straightening up the table for whoever would come and clean it after he left. "Techno is going to visit Dream today, and I'll accompany him," he started, fixing his beanie as he turned and looked out the window you two were eating beside. "You technically have the day off today, so you under no means have to come with me, but Techno won't be leaving the prison. Sam and I will make sure to keep him captive in the cell with Dream to ensure that he isn't a threat. As long as that pig is outside of the prison, there's a possibility that Dream will break out, and we have to take every measure possible to make sure that doesn't ever happen."

"This is the guy that blew up L'manburg with Dream, right?" You asked, walking over to stand beside him. While he looked out at his nation, you looked at him - you were on the scarred side of his face. "Same guy that did that to you?"

"Yup," Quackity responded, popping the 'p'.

"Why isn't he in jail already?"

"Because if we put everyone who's blown something up or killed someone in jail, then there would be no one left on this server," Quackity shrugged, looking down and fixing the golden cufflinks he wore on his sleeve. "He's strong, too. I do believe he's one of the few people that everyone on the server agrees belongs in prison, but there's no way I would be able to get him in captivity by just hunting him down and arresting him. His skills are beyond my own, and obviously, you see what happened last time. So, we've come up with a way - granted, it's long overdue - to trick him and capture him."