Chapter Five

Hope y'all enjoy ;) Bit of a shorter one but oh wellllll (get ready for chapter six teehee)

-

Foolish opened Quackity's door for you, and you were met with a scene that you would never in a hundred years expect.

Over the past month (give or take) of knowing him, you had learned a few things about him

One - he was prideful. From the second you met him, you could tell he didn't like losing or being proven wrong. You knew that he would go to great lengths to prove that he was either innocent or on the right side. It was obvious when he threatened to cut off your hand if you chose not to listen to his conditions on that first night in his office.

Two - he was impulsive. You learned that the morning after, when he admitted to you over a freshly brewed cup of coffee made by him that he didn't mean half of what he said the night before. He acted on emotion and a chance to instill fear in someone who wronged him and did so without thinking through.

The apology proved the third.

Three - he was kind. Down beneath the scarring and the obsessive gambling and capitalistic behaviours, he was a sweet person. He always asked how your days at work were when you started riding home on your own horse. He would invite you to eat in his master suite when he could, which is why the initial proposal didn't seem all too odd. The only thing that made it different was the setting.

You stepped inside the suite, glancing behind you as Foolish closed the door. You turned back around to take in the scenery.

It smelt delicious.

The food you two usually ate up in his suite was always food from the downstairs restaurant that patrons would eat at during their gambling charades. It was filled with a variety of food, from gourmet to fried. Quackity's suite was filled with a scent that you had never smelt before, and when you walked into view of the kitchen, you watched as Quackity poured two bowls of a homemade meal.

You smiled. "That smells delicious, Q."

Quackity looked up at you and smiled, putting the ladle down across the pot.

"Gumbo," he replied, taking off his apron and setting it on the counter. "My mom's recipe. It's like a super thick stew. I usually eat it with rice on top of it, like a layered dish. Do you want rice with yours?"

You nodded as you sat down at the set table, watching as he went over and scooped rice from another pot, setting it inside the bowls over the steaming meal. You looked down at the setting in front of you, at the two plates and the lit candle between them. There were two glasses with a bottle of Reisling beside them, uncorked and ready to be drunk.

Quackity set down the bowl in front of you and sat down with his own.

You smiled at him over the meal, feeling oddly giddy and positive about how this night would go despite the previous interaction with him at the front of the casino. You opened your mouth to speak, but he held up a hand.

"I'd like to apologize," he started, "for my-"

"Your childish behavior? How you and Wilbur bickered like children over a swingset?" You asked teasingly, watching as his face changed from regret to surprise. "Honestly, Quackity, I don't care. The only thing that I was worried about was that you were mad at me for going over there, but it's obvious now that you weren't worried and you were more protective of me. After hearing about what Wilbur has done in the past, I don't blame you."

Quackity blinked at you for a moment before chuckling and reaching out to grab the bottle, steadily pouring it into each of your glasses. "Maybe I should have forced you to be a detective instead of a prison guard, Y/n. You have quite the deductive skills."