넷째

The previous night I had been up until after 2 a.m., so the next day I woke up near noon again. The moment I opened my eyes I was surprised to realize that something was missing.

Ah, yes that's right. Lisa called last night and said she wouldn't be able to come over during lunch. Apparently, there was going to be a meeting at the company and it would be running late into the afternoon. Our phone conversation had been rather short.

"You don't have to call and tell me this." I had told her dismissively.

"Oh, but I thought you might miss me and think I had abandoned you if I didn't tell you."

"Don't talk nonsense! I'm hanging up now!"

Lisa had been coming over to my place so often lately, that I somehow had gotten used to her presence. I would lie if I said that during the afternoon, I didn't feel a tad bit lonely. But I guess it couldn't be helped. We both had our jobs and also it mustn't have been easy for her to come over so often just to have lunch with me.

All I could do was sigh and prepare my instant noodles. I saw Leo shooting me disapproving glances all throughout lunch.

"Stop looking at me like that! There is nothing I can do about it. I don't have any ingredients to cook a proper meal and I don't feel like going out."

Honestly, I feel as if my cat is beginning to resemble Lisa more and more lately. Does she, by any chance, have a special ability to talk to animals and she asked Leo to keep an eye on me?

No, I'm just being stupid now, letting my imagination run wild again. How can something like talking to animals really be possible?! But then again, isn't my own strange ability to hear thoughts just as improbable?

That day I decided to take a break from writing, and enjoy a cup of green tea on the balcony. The weather has been warmer these days, making it perfect for relaxing outdoors. Since I didn't like going outside, though, I decided to transform my rather large balcony into a perfect place for relaxing. Outside, trees and flowers had already bloomed and the cherry blossoms were being scattered through the air, creating a beautiful painting capable of soothing the mind and soul.

My mind has been able to spring into action whenever I thought of the plot and everything just naturally came to life on paper. I was pretty satisfied with my work and believed that if things kept going like this, I might finish the second half of the book in less than a month.

Just as I was calmly sipping my tea and enjoying these musings, the doorbell rang. It's useless to tell you whom I instantly thought of. Hadn't Lisa said she couldn't come by today because of the meeting? Why is she here now?