일곱째

"It's about Ye-won." He said quietly. "Lice, I need you to look after her for a few days. The company I work at has an important business event, but it's held outside the city and it's going to last for several days."

"Oppa, you know I am working during the day and I usually get home pretty late. Besides, my apartment is very far from her school. Ye-won is also injured right now." Lisa said with a troubled expression. "What about Jungkook-ie?"

"Jungkook is on a business trip. He'll be back in a few days. Please, Lice. I will drop her off at school tomorrow morning. You just have to pick her up in the afternoon, spend the nights with her, and drop her at school in the mornings. Jungkook will come and pick her up when he returns."

"Alright, fine. I guess I will help since there is no other way. But you know I'm not that good with kids. What if we don't get along?"

"Nonsense. She's your niece. You'll get along just fine. Just remember to give her a bath and make sure she doesn't hurt her hand. Other than that, she is not a picky eater so she should be fine with whatever you feel like having for dinner. The school offers breakfast and a light lunch so that's two meals less you have to worry about."

"You sure know how to wrap everything up nicely. No wonder you are the sales department's ace." Lisa said, admitting defeat. "I'll see what I can do during the afternoons. Perhaps I should call the company and tell them I need to leave earlier this week."

That was the second time on that day when my impulsiveness took over my reason. Before I even realized what I was saying, I opened my mouth and offered my assistance to this pair of troubled siblings.

"Uhm, if it's alright with you, Tae... I mean, Taehyung-ssi, I can pick Ye-won from school and she can stay at my place until Lisa gets off work."

The moment those words left my mouth I began to panic. Would they think I am being meddlesome? Or perhaps label me as a weirdo for interfering in a family situation? Why did I have to open my big mouth and say such stupid things?!

While my soul almost flew out of my body from worrying, Taehyung looked more than delighted, while Lisa was merely surprised by my proposition.

"I don't have anything against that, if it's alright with Irene-ssi." She said, staring at me intently.

What did that gaze mean? Was she upset? Was she annoyed? I just couldn't figure it out. I tried to hide my frustrating thoughts by showing them a tactful smile.

"It's alright. Otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned it." I said noncommittally.

"Alright! Then it's settled. I will let the school know and give them all the details. Thank you so much, Miss Bae. You're a lifesaver." Taehyung said, trying to grab hold of my hands again.

The instant I saw the movement I panicked like a chicken about to be butchered. I didn't want to hear that awful squealing again, nor the weird words this man was spouting in his head. But to my surprise, Lisa moved faster than me and blocked Taehyung's threatening hands.

"Oppa, we really have to go now. We have left in the middle of an important meeting. And you know how novelists are. They... they can lose their inspiration if they spend too much time outside their sanctuary."

🥴

An awkward silence fell between us. For the first time I didn't have to use my ability to read thoughts in order to know exactly what Taehyung was thinking, because judging from his expression... I was thinking the exact same thing.