열일곱째

Park Sooyoung a.k.a Joy. 31 years old and Chief Editor at SM Publishing.

That day she was sitting at her desk reviewing some documents. Her hair was messy, a sign that she had been brushing her fingers through it many times. She had a serious and focused expression, with her rimless glasses pushed high over her nose. Her long and slender fingers were holding a pen, fumbling with it from time to time.

Just as she was about to touch the paper with the tip of her pen in order to make a few annotations, her office door was suddenly pushed open and a man strutted inside. The sudden commotion made Joy's hand slip and a particularly ugly scrawl appeared on the document. A deep crease appeared between her eyebrows.

"Ah! Miss Park, I am sorry." Her assistant popped inside hastily, glancing at the man who had just barged inside her boss's office. "Mr. Choi Siwon he... Well, he said he must see you right now so I... I couldn't..." She stopped, blushing furiously with embarrassment.

"It's alright  ..."

"I'm gonna finish my tasks soon," she averted her eyes from Siwon to Joy, "I'm a little bit busy, uhm... I have to go home soon, and very soon." Her eyes begged for her boss understanding.

"Araseo." The corner of her mouth turned up in a small smile. "You're gonna binge reading, huh? Just don't overdo it, mind your health. You can go now."

"Won't you have her bring me some tea or some sort of refreshment?" Siwon asked after the assistant left.

"You don't deserve it. Look what you made me do!?" Joy picked up the ruined document and flaunted it in front of Siwon.

"Sorry." Siwon said, raising a hand and grinning. "But still, you should have at least asked for some water. What kind of host are you?"

"The kind that hates unwelcome visitors." Joy retorted mercilessly.

Then, she put down her pen and stared at the man, who, in the meantime, had calmly taken a seat in one of the armchairs placed near the window.

After a moment of silence, Joy got up and took a seat across from him.

"So, who ruffled your feathers so early in the day?" She inquired, leaning back in her seat and crossing her legs with casual and elegant movements.

"I was flatly rejected." Siwon said without any emotion visible on his face.

"Good for you." Joy replied in the same manner.

"I'm not joking."

"Neither am I." Joy retorted without the smallest change in her expression. "You need to face a few rejections from time to time. It's good for the soul."

"You're heartless." Siwon sighed, his impassible mask finally crumbling.

Joy could see a glimpse of emotion flickering in his eyes. Seeing this person, who usually looked strong and composed, showing this kind of face, made her own glacial attitude thaw ever so slightly.

"Irene?" She asked despite already knowing the answer.

"Hmm." Siwon replied, letting out a drawn-out sigh. "She said she already has someone she likes."

"I guess you were one step behind Lisa."

"So, you already know." Siwon said with a slight accusatory tone.

"Of course, I know! One has been my friend for many years and the other is the Editor I personally scouted and then trained. I would be stupid if I didn't know something was going on. And by the way, I hope you didn't go to her apartment and scare her." Joy shot the other person a sharp gaze.

"I didn't scare her. What am I, a frightening beast that eats people?! And how did you know I went to her place?"

"You're easy to read." Joy waved a hand in dismissal. "Then, I am curious to know how you ended up getting the boot."

"I told her everything."

"I see." Joy sighed. "Still, it appears the frightened kitten has grown some tiger claws, if she was able to keep her own in front of your passionate declarations. Knowing you, sweeping someone off their feet is quite an easy task."

"Bae Irene is different from those people." Siwon declared matter-of-factly.

"Yes, she is indeed. Though, I'm glad to see she has grown up and is finally able to face her fears and pursue what she wants."

"What about me then?"

"You just lick your wounds and get back to your company. Don't you have work to do?" Joy snapped at him remembering the blotted document from earlier.

"Are you rooting for the other team? Tsk, so mean."

"I'm rooting for whomever can make Irene happy. You lost your chance the moment you decided to hide from her all those years ago."

"Such cruel words. Then, are you going to comfort me for my loss?" Siwon asked, leaning closer and touching Joy's leg teasingly.

"Who's going to comfort a stupid guy like you?! Just go away quickly!" Joy bit out, smacking Siwon's hand away.

"I never knew that deep down you were a tsundere." Siwon teased with a chuckle.

Still, he knew better than to mess around excessively. Therefore, he got up and was ready to leave when Joy suddenly stopped him.

"Siwon-ssi, what are you planning to do from now on? She's not likely to change her mind."

"I know. I'll just do what I have been doing for the past fifteen years: follow her in silence."

"Ugh, creepy." Joy said, repressing a shiver and feigning a disgusted expression.

"That's what she said." Siwon let out a hearty laugh. "Let's grab a drink one of these days. It'll be my treat." He winked and with that, he left the office.

▬▬