여덟째

"Was Ye-won good? Did she do anything to upset you or did she tire you out with her rambles and... thoughts?"

Ah, so that's what she was worrying about. Before I could stop it, a chuckle escaped through my lips. This person was really strange. Instead of worrying about a strange person doing something to her niece, she was actually worried about her niece doing something to that person.

"Ye-won is a very good child. She was cute and obedient. Shouldn't you be more worried about her, rather than me?"

"Irene-ssi, you don't know but Ye-won she... she is a... well a handful."

"A handful?" I asked in surprise. She didn't look that way to me. After all, she had been so quiet and reserved all the time. At that moment, it had completely escaped my mind how in the beginning she kept thinking that I am beautiful like an idol or how she decided to randomly pair me with her aunt.

"Yes, a handful." Lisa repeated firmly. "She is a chatterbox and she inherited her father's hyped squeals and screams, especially when she sees something she likes. Ah!" Lisa cried out suddenly, almost making me jump. "How did she react when she saw Leo?"

"Well, she did seem happy to play with the cat, but other than that she said nothing." I said pensively. Indeed, I could only hear those squeals of happiness only after touching her arm. She kept everything to herself.

"Huh?! Is that really so?" Lisa asked, her turn to blink in confusion.

"Yes. She played with him a lot. I also bought her some coloring books and crayons so she won't get too bored if she didn't want to watch TV or read."

Lisa remained quiet for a moment. Her face expressed extreme disbelief. I could also detect a peculiar glint in her eyes, like she was pleasantly surprised, but also something else, something odd that I couldn't quite explain. It baffled me and her gaze made my skin break into goosebumps. That she would look at me like that, what could possibly be the cause?

Before I could think further into it, Lisa broke into laughter and shook her head.

"I'm relieved to know she behaved so well. Probably she was warned by Oppa or perhaps it was because you two are still not well acquainted. Either way, I am glad." She stopped and looked around. "Where is she? We should be going now. My house is quite far away from here and she still needs to take a shower and go to bed."

"She fell asleep while playing and I took her to the bedroom. It hasn't been long since she fell asleep." I said, pointing towards the bedroom door.

"Thank you, Irene-ssi." Lisa bowed her head, a smile still hanging on her lips.

"No need." I replied, looking away from her.

A strange feeling of softness crawled and scratched at my heart in that moment. Really, it appeared that this pair of aunt and niece had the same effect on me. Giving me these warm and fluffy tugs... so unfair.

I followed Lisa into the bedroom and watched how she tried to wake Ye-won up. She kept groaning and frowning in her sleep, shuffling away from Lisa's hands. It made my heart twinge with slight sadness, that she had to be pulled out from her dreamland so soon. Then, an idea popped into my head.

"Lisa, what if you let her sleep here tonight?"

I admit, I didn't give it too much thought before I blurted it out, not realizing what having her staying overnight would entail. I just wanted to allow Ye-won to sleep comfortably for a while longer.

At my words Lisa stiffened slightly and her hands stopped while pulling at the blanket. She turned her head slowly, giving me a puzzled look.

"Irene-ssi, are you sure? I mean I can't just..."