Chapter 6: Mr. Lincoln's Class

Tara's POV

The stress of my school day makes me collapse in my bed right after I get my Tylenol. As I lie there, I hear bits and pieces of Eli's conversation with my mom. 

"You lied to Tara," I hear Eli say. My heart drops to my stomach. I haven't seen Kyle in forever, but he's the only person that I ever want to be around all the time. If he isn't actually coming home, I don't know what I'm going to do. 

"I didn't," my mom protests. I shut my eyes and block out the voices.  Kyle's one of the few people who I could really use right now. My thoughts stop when my bed dips with the weight of a body.

"Is my mom lying about Kyle?" I ask quietly. Eli lays down next to me and sighs. 

"No, I got proof," he whispers. I immediately feel better. Kyle will be here soon. He probably even got the first ticket home when Mom called him. 

"So, he's coming?" I ask again, just as a reassurance to myself. 

"Yes," Eli says. 

////////////////////////////////////////////////

When I wake up the next morning, Eli is sleeping next to me. I didn't expect him to spend the night. 

"Eli," I mutter, and I whack his forehead. He groans and rolls over, pulling me with him. I giggle as we roll over into more blankets. I bury my face in his neck and laugh as he shakes us. He smells really good too. 

"Go away," he mumbles when I smack him again.  

"We're gonna be late for school," I exclaim. Eli groans again and opens his eyes.

"I don't wanna go either," I say with a sigh. "Tom is going to kill you." 

"I fell asleep," Eli protests. My response is interrupted by the sound of my door opening. I sit up quickly and see Tom in the doorway. 

"Tara." Tom's voice is cold and his eyes narrow to slits. 

"Tom," I say, holding my hands out in an act to calm him. 

"Get up," he demands. Eli moves his arm from around my waist but I don't move. I stay seated in between the two in case Tom decides to attack. 

"Who are you?" Tom asks, his arms crossed. 

"Eli," Eli states, blankly. 

He doesn't seem too frightened by Tom, even though Tom looked like he could kill someone. Tom's hands curl into fists and he advances forward, but I throw my hand out and push him back, briskly. He glowers at me before he turns to the door. 

"Mom!" Tom yells. I don't know how my mom would react with Eli staying the night. I know for a fact that she doesn't know, especially because I didn't know until I woke up this morning.

"Tara, get out from under the covers," Tom says. I sigh and sit up just as my mom appears in the doorway.

"Mom, did you know about this?" Tom asks, crossing his arms and flashing me a dirty smirk. My mom looks in my room and meets my eyes. As she notices Eli, a small smile tugs on her lips. 

"Hello, Eli," she says. Tom opens his mouth in shock, clearly at a loss for words. 

"But...Mom," Eli says in exasperation.  My mom waves him away. 

"You should be at school in 20 minutes," she tells us. I jump out of bed and pull Eli up with me. 

"Tom, loan Eli some clothes please?" My mom asks. 

"Are you serious? You're kidding me!" Tom exclaims as she walks away. 

"You heard me," I hear her reply. Tom glares at both of us one more time before walking away.