Chapter 10: Rescue Mission Part 2

Eli's POV

As soon as I approach room 2B, I get a clenching feeling in my gut. The door itself gives off an eerie feel.

I put my finger on the trigger of the gun and kick open the door. In the dark of the room, I make out a bed and what looks to be someone in it, or two people.

The sudden sound of the door opening makes the person turn to me, and I'm face to face with John. I look beneath him and see Tara.

Before John can say anything and before I even know what I'm doing, my finger impulsively squeezes the trigger of the gun.

/////////////////////////////////////

Tara's POV

When I heard the door open, I thought it would be Manny giving me more drugs, but I did not expect what did happen.

John turned just before as the gunshot sounded.

Then I felt the searing pain in my lower side.

"Missed me," I hear John whisper with a chuckle. I hear another gunshot then someone comes up next to me.

"Tara," a voice sobs. I blink through the tears flowing down my face and meet Eli's eyes, pouring out tears as well.

"It hurts," I choke out as Eli wraps his arms around me. I feel his body shake with sobs.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers, repeatedly.  "Let's get you out of here."

Slowly, Eli adjusts his arms to under my knees and back and carefully picks me up. I feel the material of my shirt dampen with blood from the movement, and I yelp in pain as the wound strains.

"I'm sorry," Eli sobs. "We'll get you to the hospital right now."

"You two aren't going anywhere." Eli turns around to face the new voice and in the doorway, I see a broad man standing.

"Trever," he says. "Leave us alone."

"I don't make promises I can't keep."

"Let us go."

/////////////////////////////////////

Eli's POV

He stands in the doorway with a gun in his hands. I was never necessarily scared of Trever, but seeing Tara was in an exposed state and I didn't have any free hands for defense, I felt helpless.

"Fancy seeing you here again, kid," Trever speaks as he raises the gun. "But put the girl down and leave."

Before I could respond, a gunshot rings through my ears. Trying to protect both myself and Tara, I drop to the floor as fast as possible. Tara lands on my stomach, luckily not fazing me, and I set her on the floor next to me and roll into a crouching position.

Tara's hysteric sobs echo in the room and she grabs at my ankle

I look over at Trever and he's sprawled on the floor, grasping his shoulder. Tom struggles to run over, and he picks Tara off of the floor as I return to my feet.

I quickly take Tara from him and cradle her.

"Put your hands up!" I groan and turn around. A policeman has his gun aimed at my chest as he eyes Tara suspiciously. 

"I'm the one who called the police," I tell him.

"She needs to go to the hospital!" Tom exclaims. His eyes are shiny with tears.

"All clear!" The cop yells and a team of officers flood in.

"Sir, you need to put the girl down," an officer says.

"You're coming with us for murder and drug use," another demands. My eyes blur over.

"No. I need to stay with her," I choke out. "I've never used drugs in my life. John O'Hair has! He used them on Tara too." I sink to my knees and pull Tara close. Sobs rack my body as they try to pull her away.

"I need her!" I yell.

"Sir, she's losing too much blood. If she doesn't get treated soon, she'll die." I crawl away from the officer and curl up in a ball.

"Please. Please," I whimper.

"Mr. White, please stand up." I suck in a deep breath and open my eyes.

"Are you okay now?" he asks. I glance over and see Tara getting wheeled away on a stretcher. I face the officer and squeeze my eyes shut.

"Explain what happened here," he says.