21. Mother And Daughter; Plots And Schemes

Gu Zechuan stayed at the company until late, before finally returning home to his villa, the villa that Xia He would never again be able to come back to.

When Xia He was still there, there would always be light inside the villa. Xia He always made sure that there would always be a light on for him, welcoming and beaconing to him mo matter how dark it was outside, as if forever waiting for him to come back to her. But when Xia He was still there, he never came back. All this while, he chose to distant her, leaving her in this cold and empty villa, all by herself.

And now, though he finally came back, but the one who had so eagerly and earnestly waited for him could no longer be here. And in her place, were Yang Qinglian and her mother.

Seeing that Gu Zechuan had came back, Yang Qinglian and Yang Ruolan were both overjoyed. Now that Xia He was finally dead, there would be nothing else standing between Yang Qinglian and the title of Mrs. Gu.

''Zechuan, you're back. Are you hungry? I made some late night snacks for you, won't you have some?'' Yang Qinglian asked. She looked the picture of a loving young woman giving her lover a warm welcome after he came back from a tough day's work.

Remembering what Xu Feng had told him, when Gu Zechuan looked at Yang Qinglian, what adoration and tenderness that used to fill his heart now turned into distaste and disgust. The gentleness and warmth that he used to shower her with was gone, and instead, an analyzing and almost surgical coldness now gleamed in his eyes. That fire two years ago, just who saved him and dragged him out of it? He must get to the bottom of this. He would show no forgiveness for those who dared to deceive him!

''I'm not hungry, you can have it by yourself.'' Gu Zechuan replied, in a cold and emotionless tone.

Seeing Gu Zechuan's apathy towards her, Yang Qinglian couldn't understand why his attitude towards her had turned around completely. Why did he suddenly sound so cold and distant?

Gu Zechuan paid no more attention to Yang Qinglian. He went upstairs alone, went into the bedroom, and locked his door.

Downstairs, Yang Qinglian and Yang Ruolan looked at one another. They couldn't understand what could have made Gu Zechuan to undergo such a drastic change towards them.

''What's going on with him? Why is he suddenly this cold to me? This doesn't make any sense!'' Yang Qinglian said, unable to understand what happened, with confusion and bewilderment written all over her face.

Yang Ruolan was also left in the clouds. What could possibly have made Gu Zechuan act so differently?

Yang Ruolan thought for a while, the suddenly asked, ''My daughter, could it be that Gu Zechuan caught winds of you going out with that ex-lover if yours today?''

Yang Qinglian quickly shook her head, ''Mother, hush! Don't be blabbing nonsense in Gu Zechuan's house. What if he can still hear?! I did meet up with him today, but it was only to clear up a few things and tying up loose ends. We didn't do anything more than that!''

Yang Ruolan covered her mouth as soon as she realized that she has spoken out loud, and immediately looked upstairs. Only when she didn't manage to see Gu Zechuan, did she relax and calmed down.

''Daughter, you need to move things along now. At this rate, you'll only be in the clear when you're pregnant with his child. There are no better ways and shortcuts. Time is of the essence!'' Yang Ruolan advised her solemnly.

She continued, ''I happened to have acquire some... aids. Put this in the water, and take it up to Gu Zechuan later. This here is extremely potent, and if even one drop of it should go into his system and you were also there...''

Yang Qinglian looked at her own mother in surprise. She hadn't thought that her mother would go as far as to prepare ''something'' for her.

''mother, that is brilliant! I did think of something similar, but I was too afraid to actually go through with it.'' Yang Qinglian said, impressed.

At the receiving end of her daughter's praises, Yang Ruolan pridefully raised her chin.''Of course, whose mother do you think you'tr talking to here? As long as you have his seed in you, there are countless ways to soften him up to you later. Just remember to keep him on a short leash from now on, and don't do silly things like going to that ex-lover of yours again!''

''Relax, mother. The only thing that guy ever wanted from me was my money. And as for me, well, he does have a rather... outstanding... third leg. Neither of us are involved emotionally, and we're simply taking what we needed from each other.'' Yang Qinglian said, without any care.