33. I Finally Saw You Again

Qin Xuan caught up to Xia He. He overtook her a few steps and turned around to stop her on the way.

''Xia He, what happened? Why did you ran? Haven't we come here to greet the director?'' Qin Xuan asked, feeling strange over what just happened. Qin Xuan didn't know Gu Zechuan personally. He had only heard of his name, but he had never seen him in person. But Xia He knew that the man sitting in the director's office with his back turned towards them was Gu Zechuan. There could be no mistake. She didn't want to see Gu Zechuan, and she didn't want Gu Zechuan to see her.

Xia He said, agitated, with a sense of urgency in her voice, ''Qin Xuan, do you even know who that man sitting in the director's office? He is Gu Zechuan!''

Gu Zechuan? Qin Xuan's eyebrows scrunched and frowned. He had never expected that they'd be able to run into him out of the blues just like that. Perhaps this was exactly as how the ancient saying goes, connected by fate, for better or worse.

Qin Xuan stopped to think for a little, then said to her, ''Xia He, don't you think that, maybe this is fate? You and Gu Zechuan are destined to see each other again eventually. He must have seen you then, when he heard me calling out your name. He is probably rushing his way as we speak.''

''So, Qin Xuan you think that I should see Gu Zechuan? Is that what you are saying?'' Xia He's rushed retort spurted out of her mouth uncontrollably.

Qin Xuan quickly replied, ''No, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I mean is, I want you to face your heart truthfully. My only worry for you is that, when the day finally comes, you might regret the decision that you're making today.''

''I don't regret, I won't regret! I never do things that I regret, and I never regret things that I've done!'' Xia He was beyond overexerting herself, her voice filled with tension.

She dug her heel into the ground and turned to leave, but as soon as she did, she rammed her face into a firm but warm chest. Momentarily, it was all Xia He could do just standing on the spot in a daze and trying to reorient herself, but two arms quickly stabilized her on her feet.

Xia He cupped her dazed head with her hands, and shook her head. And then, from above her head, came an all too familiar voice, which trembled with disbelief and joy.

''Millie, it really is you. I'm not dreaming. It really is you! You're not dead. You're alive!'' Gu Zechuan didn't care that what's coming out of his mouth was hardly coherent. He never thought it possible way, his wife who he thought had passed away, now stood here right in front of him, living and breathing, and his heart leaped at the indescribable joy that sought to overwhelm it.

''Mister, you're mistaken. I'm not some girl named Millie.'' Xia He hid her face behind her two hands, and began taking steps backward. But before she she could take even more steps, Gu Zechuan suddenly stepped forward and threw his arms around her waist. He pulled her towards him into his hug, shortening the gap between their faces. The softness coming from his hand, and the breaths that fell lightly on his skin, everything about her told Gu Zechuan that this in his embrace, was a live living breathing person.

And then, Gu Zechuan looked down as Xia He looked up, and their eyes locked in to one another's. The two stared at each other, face to face, her nose almost touching his. On one face was a look of pure bewilderment, while on the other was an expression of overwhelming joy.

''No, I would never mistake someone else for you. You're my wife. How could I ever mistake anyone else for you!'' Gu Zechuan was so moved and shaken that he hugged Xia He as tight as he could. Suddenly, he was afraid to let go of her, afraid that perhaps it was only his imagination after all. Afraid of that, if he let go, the next moment he would open his eyes on his bed, and wake up back into a world without her.

Overcame with embarrassment by the show he was putting on for all who cared to look, Xia He scolded him, ''Gu Zechuan, what do you think you're doing? There're all these people watching us! What are you doing holding me in your arms for? I may have been your wife before, but I'm not anymore, so let me go!''

Qin Xuan then came and spoke to Gu Zechuan, serious and polite as always, ''Mister, I would ask that you let go of my friend.''

When he came close, Gu Zechuan finally was able to take a closer look at Qin Xuan, and the child in his arm. The little boy shifted his gaze between Gu Zechuan and Xia He, his little eyes resembled hers so much that they may as well as be splitting images, sparkling with curiosity and interest.

The moment he set his eyes on the boy, Gu Zechuan stared at him so hard that his eyes almost looked as if they would pop out. His eyes were so much like Xia He's, but his lips, looked like his own when he was young.

''Millie! This child, he's our kid! Right?'' Though Gu Zechuan asked, there was not even a silver of doubt in his voice.