36. Gu Zechuan Fell

Realizing that time would tick away mercilessly even as he stood here, Gu Zechuan felt that he could no longer afford to wait. He needed to go, he must go see Xia He now. In her final two months in this world, he wanted to be the one that stayed by her side!

The night before, Gu Zechuan already had Xu Feng looked into where Xia He had been staying, so when the director of the hospital broke the news to him, Gu Zechuan drove straight to where Xia He had lived for these two years.

Xia He didn't live inside the bustling city. Instead, she lived at a remote countryside, where only few people lived. Life was slower there, and the place she lived looked more akin to a small farmhouse. She had a garden, filled with all the flowers she liked. Spring had just came, and one by one the flowers in her garden gradually began blooming. In her garden, everyday Xia He would water the flowers, give them fertilizers, and watch as her child stumbled around in shaky steps on the softened grass bed. Her life here was good, peaceful, and happy.

But this day, her peace was broken by the man who suddenly appeared at the gate.

When she realized it, Gu Zechuan already stood outside the little gate, and simply watched longingly at Xia He as she watered the flowers in the garden, and at the little boy who played on the ground by her feet.

A tall towering figure standing outside their little garden was very noticeable. When Xia He realized he was there, she was surprised. She didn't think that Gu Zechuan would come to find her so soon.

Almost by pure instinct, she turned and began walking towards the house, but before she reached the house, she heard Gu Zechuan yelling in a loud voice, still standing beside the gate, ''Millie, I will wait for you right here, until you say yes!''

''You're free to wait however long you wish!'' Leaving him with her cold words, Xia He went inside the house and shut the door.

For the rest of the restroom, Xia He never went out again. And soon, evening came, then night fall. The weather didn't turn out as nice as she had expected, and began pouring outside, making noisy rattling sounds as huge droplets of rain began assaulting the windows.

Through the window, Xia He looked outside towards the gate. And there, the same towering figure stood, unmoving. Though his entire body had been thoroughly soaked by the rain, he didn't move even one step away.

Xia He sighed. ''Why? Gu Zechuan, why?''

She closed the curtain, shutting him out of her sight, but inside her, her heart was lying around in complete disarray.

Xia He asked herself. She only have two more months to live. Does she really want to bring her grudge against Gu Zehcuan all the way into her grave?

That night, Xia He couldn't sleep at all. She couldn't help but think of the man who stood outside her gate.

After a sleepless night, dawn finally came. She thought to herself, and decided, that if Gu Zechuan was still there, she would say yes to him.

But when Xia He opened the door, Gu Zechuan was nowhere to be found. There was no one at her gate. Xia He laughed, mockingly, ''Well, that's the kind of creature that man is, superficial, and all talks.''

But, even more so than that, she felt annoyed. Was Gu Zechuan's love for her really that tiny and fragile? That he'd just leave like that after all those things that he said to her? In her annoyance, she walked out of the gate.

But as soon as she came near the little gate, she yelled in surprise, frightened. Gu Zechuan was lying on the ground, unconscious, with his face as pale as snow!

''Gu Zechuan!'' Xia He rushed to Gu Zechuan's side. She wanted to help him up, but when her hands touched his body, the temperature made her retract her hands. He was burning up!

Remembering last night, she realized that he must have fallen ill from weathering under the heavy rain standing in place just like that for the whole night. The high and mighty indomitable Gu Zechuan, really had withstood a whole night of heavy rain standing at her gate, just for her.

Xia He knew, that she couldn't possibly have the strength to move Gu Zechuan, not with his 188cm height and weight. Out of better options, she called Qin Xuan over, and asked to help her get Gu Zechuan to the hospital.

Gu Zechuan was out cold for an entire day before finally regaining his consciousness. When he opened his eyes, he called out to Xia He, but apart from Xu Feng, there was no one else there.