26. He Didn't Make It

A proud man never took to his knee lightly. As arrogant a man that Gu Zechuan was, Xu Feng and Xia He's mother never thought that he'd go as far as get on his knees and beg for it!

Xia He's mother shook her head at the display. Gu Zechuan looked like he really had regretted everything he had done. To such a man wallowing in his remorse and sadness, she just couldn't bring herself to be as cruel as to deny him of his request.

She gritted her teeth tight, then let go and sighed, ''Take her ashes, and leave.''

Seeing that Xia He's mother had agreed, immediately Gu Zechuan thanked her for it, and gently caressed the jar of ashes lying silently in his arms. Inside, was his most precious Millie.

''Mother, there is one more thing...'' Gu Zechuan hesitated, unsure if he should bring it up. In the end, he decided to ask.

''What is it?'' Xia He's mother asked, in obvious tiredness.

Gu Zechuan continued, ''Where is the child that Millie had brought into this world? I want to take him back with me. I swear, I will give him the best of all things that I can give.'' He wanted to make it up to the child as best as he could, the child that was his and Millie's own flesh and blood.

At the mentioning of the child, Xia He's mother's eyes reddened again. ''He went away with his mother. The doctor said that, the reason why the boy came so early was because of the contraceptive she took. It did the boy a lot of harm, he was alive for a few days, and then he was gone.''

This dealt another blow to Gu Zuchen, as if pouring salt upon his already ripped open heart. He thought that at least the child would have lived, but in the end, the child went away with Xia He too. The boy that belonged to the two of them, the child that Xia He had so painstakingly tried to bring into this world.

As the shock began receding, Gu Zechuan immediately found that there was something strange in what Xia He's mother said. She said that Xia He took contraceptive, but Xia He treasured and wanted to protect the child so much. How could it be possible that she would even consider touching contraceptive?

''Mother, you said that Millie took contraceptive? How could it be possible that she would ever do that? The child was seven months old already, if she didn't want the child, she would have went through with abortion operation months ago. And Millie loved the child more than anyone else. She couldn't have taken the contraceptive!'' Gu Zechuan's words became more and more heated. Suddenly, Xia He's death didn't seem like a simple matter of sickness anymore. Though it looked like her life simply had ended a little sooner than the doctors expected, but something wasn't right. Someone did this to her!

Xia He's mother snorted at that, ''From what I heard you even let shameless vixen into your house, why don't you go ask her yourself if she was the one who feed it to my daughter? I swear, if she had anything to do with it, I'll murder her myself!''

Though Xia He's other only said it out of spite, it reminded Gu Zechuan, as images of what happened that night flooded back into his mind. That night, when he came to the top of the stairs, he saw Xia He with the knife in her hands, and Yang Qinglian lying on the ground in pain. Back then, all his attention and focus was on Yang Qinglian. But now, thinking back, he remembered that there was a pool of blood, spreading under where Xia He stood, as she begged him to take her to the hospital. Pain returned to Gu Zehcuan's heart. He refused to take her to the hospital then, if it had been Xia He that he took to the hospital with him, it might not have been too late for her. Maybe Xia He would still be alive now.

Calmness once again settled in Gu Zechuan's mind.He said to Xia He's mother, with definite determination, ''I will look into this, I will find out exactly what happened. I promise, I won't let anyone get away with it. All who had hurt my Millie, they will pay, each and every one of them!''

When Gu Zechuan left Xia He's mother's place, the night has fallen already. He said to Xu Feng,''Xu Feng, a new assignment for you. Dig out everything that Yang Qinglian and Yang Ruolan had bought, online and offline, on record and off record. You have 24 hours to give me results. If I don't see the results by then, don't bother coming back to work tomorrow. You, and the entire information department.''